Is there any way I can ease the stress of upcoming labor pains?

I'm starting to get really scared of going into labor I know it's going to be PAINFUL. I don't want to use meds, but my husband and several others have told me that most doctors don't give non medicated forms of pain relief and I have to bring my own. At the same time my hubby doesn't want me to sit in a tub or put on a heat pad while in labor, he thinks it's gonna hurt the baby. HELP!

Hime_Tanuki

Asked by Hime_Tanuki at 9:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My husband and me took a class. We learned breathing, relaxing, focal points. It really helped. My husband was wonderful, I don't know what I would have done without him. I also had a stuffed animal that was really soft that I would pet when the contractions hit. You could tell when they started getting harder, I started strangling the poor thing but my husband knew from that to step in and try to help more with his calming voice.
    Anonymous

• Try getting a doula. Our hospital actually have doulas on call (if you want one) that will be with you throughout the labor regardless of shift changes. They know lots of different methods to help you get through the pain, not really to relieve the pain, but to help you deal with it, without medicines. There is a big birthing ball, massage techniques, warm bath, etc. I would also recommend taking a class, although our instructor was big into epidurals. I want to go natural, but I'm keeping the epidural option open since I have no idea how it's really going to be and whether I'll puss out.

Here is the Doula International website
    http://www.dona.org/mothers/index.php

And here is an article on babycenter.com about doulas
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_doulas-should-you-hire-a-labor-coach_480.bc?page=1
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• There's massage, birthing balls, warm baths, breathing, "focus objects", and of course, the lovely counting they tell you to do with each contraction and with pushing. The birthing ball is supposed to REALLY help, because it takes the pressure off your pelvis. I was going to use one with my birth of DD, but the nurse told me I couldn't use it til the doctor checked me, and the doctor took her dandy time getting there (I was in labor 14 hours.. The doc was there about, oh, the last TWO), so by the time she got there, I was too dialated to use it (and they didn't want me on it after getting IV meds). You can look up massage and find certain areas. I think there's even certain areas on the feet that help with labor pain.

Doulas can really help. I've never had one, but I've only heard wonderful things about it, and they are with you throughout the whole thing.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• When I was in labor, if someone had shoved a focus point in my face I would have tried to kill them, except that I couldn't move, because I was in crippling pain.

The nurse told me to breathe, I wanted to kill her. Oh my god did I want to kill her.

You will just do what comes naturally for you! Breathe the best you can.

You find some sort of inner strength to keep going, or you will be so much on the brink of insanity that you won't notice. Or both. :)

You can do it!
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 10:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2009