i'm 37 weeks pregnant and i want to make a change to my hair. can you dye your hair when you are pregnant?

I havent dyed my hair the whole time i've been pregnant because i didnt know if it was safe or not. and my roots look awful.

froggiedee

Asked by froggiedee at 9:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i never did but i heard its safe after the 1st trimester
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• yep after the first trimester it is safe
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 9:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Its generally safe after the first trimester.. just make sure to do it in a well-vented room. The reason its unsafe in the first trimester is some dyes can seep through the skin and cause problems with the fetus, but at 37 weeks your baby is already fully formed and should be fine! Also if you are having someone else do it, you can usually request that they not go all the way to the scalp, bc sometimes due to your skin being more sensitive it can burn or sting if they do. Good luck! :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i heard that its unknown. ive been wanting to bleach but i havent just to be safe.
    MMMommy09

Answer by MMMommy09 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• my mother is a hair dresser and said that they are not allowed to use any chemicals at all on pregnant woman during any trimester especially bleach. its the same and drinking and smoking during pregancy. if it touches your skin at all, not good.
    mystichydra

Answer by mystichydra at 9:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• it's just fine the hair on your head is dead it's not going into your skin you and the baby will be just fine!
    Anonymous

• I worked in salon before I got pregnant and it is 100% safe ALL THE TIME!!! I am only 13 weeks and have dyed my hair twice. They didnt use to be safe in the 70s because of chemicals they added but they are safe now
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 9:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I have dyed mine with 3 almost 4 kids now. No ill effects.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• yeah, you can do anything to your hair as long as it doesn't touch the scalp, so maybe go to a salon or go for highlights? i am going soon hopefully lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I've heard its okay after the first trimester. But I never did it just in case(I was a paranoid mommy to be) You could always use henna? dyes or there are vegtable based hair dyes, you would have to just call around to find a hair salon that use them, but they dont have chemicals!
    nellyb118

Answer by nellyb118 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2009