For those active in witchcraft...

I was always told that one of the reasons Harry Potter is so "evil" is because there are real spells in there. Is this true?

TippyD

Asked by TippyD at 9:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• LoL! That is great! But no, I haven't heard a real spell in Harry Potter. Haven't seen the newer movies though.
    Anonymous

• Lmao no there are no "real" spells in the Harry Potter series, and in fact much of the HP series seems to follow closer to a Christian format than it does a Pagan form (IE they celebrate Christmas, etc).
    Anonymous

• NO! I gave a list of the spells to my 11-yr. old granddaughter...something I wouldn't have done if I believed for a second that they were "real" spells. Real witchcraft is NEVER instantaneous like it is in the books or the movies. Spells must be clearly stated and protected by the white light. They take time and concentration. And personal energy. I do send her REAL spells, but they are age appropriate. Nothing will happen if a child uses the H.P. spells--they're fake.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Sure they're real. Haven't you noticed the abundance of children flying around on broomsticks these last few years?
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 10:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• lol mizkaye
    i always thought it would be soooo cool if i really COULD fly around on a broomstick. lol. What a way to get around.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I don't know about the flying...but if my kids (who love HP!) could get my broomstick to sweep the floor by itself, I wouldn't give two hoots about what they were practicing! And as for me, I'd rather apparate myself.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• lmao.. actually the broom use to be a religious symbol.. used to put them above doorways and windows to ward off evil spirits.. use to be a form of protection..

as for the idea of flying... The tropane alkaloid hallucinogens tended to cause sleep, but with dreams that involved flying, 'wild rides,' and 'frenzied dancing.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I STILL use a broom and it still is a religious symbol for me. I use them to help clean my sacred space before i bless it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• "I STILL use a broom and it still is a religious symbol for me. I use them to help clean my sacred space before i bless it. "

similar to how I use taking a bath as a symbol for cleansing not only my body, but my mind :).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• i take a bath for a personal cleansing as well. ...i guess my solitary style is sort of formal.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:04 AM on Jun. 26, 2009