I seriously don't make enough milk...how can I increase my milk production???

My daughter is a month old already, and my milk still hasn't come in. Hubby & I have had to resort to supplementing with formula and we definitely did NOT want to go down that road...it's expensive and not as healthy as breast milk. (I was FF as a baby, but I was also adopted, so my mom didn't have a choice.) I'm taking fenugreek, and I'm eating a lot of whole grains, and I'm pumping but I barely get an ounce a day.
How can I get my body to produce more milk? My daughter doesn't want to latch on any more, I think because we've had to give her formula. I'm really feeling like a bad mom, even though I can't help it...I'm on the verge of giving up; what's the point in trying if nothing's happening???

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What makes you say this? Supplements def. can hurt supply. How much are you supplementing daily? Nurse on demand. That will help. And try to relax. But I need to know why you think/thought you are/were not producing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Are you sure you are not producing milk? How do you know you aren't? I agree with pp that you need to nurse on demand, and try to relax. If you are that serious about breastfeeding, you won't mind having to nurse very frequently. And the more you nurse, the more milk you will make, which will cause the frequent nursings to slow down. Your daughter may also be going through a growth spurt, which causes you to believe you are not producing enough milk. But it's hard to know, as you didn't list the reasons you think you are not producing milk. Maybe list them, and we can be more helpful. :)
    KadenTaeasmom

Answer by KadenTaeasmom at 9:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• drink lots of water
    take brewers yeast tabs
    pump after nursing
    nurse often, at least every hour
    have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    when you pump, look at picture of your baby
    stop the formula for a while
    most importantly, relax.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I've been nursing on demand, always before she gets her formula. She lost an entire pound within two days of coming home from the hospital a month ago...the first night she was fine, then the next three nights she was screaming all night, wouldn't sleep at all. Talked to a visiting nurse, and she suggested giving her some formula; since then, she's been sleeping better, she stopped screaming, and she gained weight back.
    I've NEVER felt "full," never gotten more than an ounce from pumping...I'm new at this but I know I'm just not making enough milk.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Hey, my advice was to take a supplement of fenugreek, but since you already are, and also pumping, i would go to a lactation specialist, maybe your baby was never latching on correctly, and that;s what started the trouble. Do you smoke, i heard that slows milk down. i just won't give up, i would nurse on demand, and if you need to supplement some formula here and there, then do it. It's better to breast feed some then none! But if you exhaust all options, you know what, your baby with be perfectly healthy on formula, you don't want to beat your self up about it. Do the best you can. If you are breastfeeding and your baby isn't gaining any weight, then yes it is time to go to formula. But if she is healthy.. maybe you are just top heavy like me lol and have a lot to fill up and you are not realizing that you are producing more milk then you think. i wasn't very good at pumping, but my daughter sure did make out on the boob.
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Lol ash, I'm definitely not top-heavy...there's barely anything to fill up up there. Had a lactation specialist at the hospital when DD was born, she taught me how to get her latched on, etc. And I agree that it's better to BF some than not at all, I'm just getting frustrated; I want to be able to give her what she needs and it doesn't seem to be happening.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Hey I feel your pain. I was full to the brim but had massive latch problems and major stresses 2 weeks after birth. I even broke out in a full body rash which lasted for 2 weeks. Then had issues with DH and he screamed at me one night. Well, my milk just dried up! Unbelievable huh! Overnight I had NONE and had to put DD on formula. Still makes me sad but I have to forgive myself as she is thriving and happier.

mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Pumping will not tell you what you are making. Babies are supposed to make you think they are starving it makes you produce. I would drop all formula and keep an eye on her weight. If in doubt call a LC
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Feeling full or empty means NOTHING. What you pump means NOTHING. I'd wean from supplements as soon as possible, and nurse on demand, and count diapers. While EBF, if you are changing 6-8 diapers (wet or poop) daily, then supply is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• One of the suggestions I haven't seen is this. Drink "A" (singular) beer. It relaxes you AND stimulates your production. Drink lots of water also. (You don't have to dump your breastmilk either) Talk to a lactation consultant AGAIN. They may have more suggestions for you.
    Remember, if you put your finger in the mouth and it is moist, they have tears, and the fontinel is not sunken in, and there is enough wet diapers then things are probably ok. If you notice these things changing the baby needs to be seen asap.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2009