anyone else suffer from O.C.D./panic attacks?

I am a proud first time mommy, in LOVE with my baby boy; yet, unable to fully enjoy what should be the most joyful time of my life because every waking moment, I suffer with obsessive-compulsive disorder/PTSD/panic/depression. I wake every day praying to God for help....I am in sooo much pain I wonder how I'm going to make it through the day nearly every day - I live in constant fear and guilt, worrying about my baby's safety and health, and having terrible unwanted thougthts. I take meds that I feel are the equivalent of sugar pills. I just want to be free from this mental prison, and to be able to be a strong and healthy, happy mom!!!

mommy2bbear

Asked by mommy2bbear at 10:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Health

• I suffered severe anxiety/panic attacks after my 1st child was born. I lived in constant fear of her health and my own everyday and it was one of the worst things I ever had to do through, so I can only imagine how you must be feeling. I didn't get it taken care of until she was 8 months, because it took me that long to figure out I had a problem and to do something about it. Turns out all I needed was a certain type of birth control to level out my post-pregnant hormones and it got me back on track. I'm sure that you will find the light at the end of the tunnel soon also! Good luck =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks. I have learned how to use deep breathing to control them but when they are really bad, I do have Xanax to take as needed and that really helps. I actually take the Xanax more to sleep than for the anxiety. (my doc knows I do this. Xanax makes me really sleepy if I take them at night).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Please ask your doctor to refer you to a therapist to help you work through your issues and learn coping skills; you may need to supplement therapy with medication, but therapy is key.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2009