• In the Spotlight:

Who needs God?

I have been thinking about the movie Religilous, specifically about Bill's opening comment about how when Revelations was written only God could end the world. It got me thinking man has the ability to end the world, we can create life through scientific means, we can duplicate a species through scientific means, we can look to ourselves and see hope, mercy and love, we can also look to ourselves and see misery, hatred, suffering and torture. We now have the capability to do many things that were once attributed to God only. So why do we need to believe?

anetrnlov

Asked by anetrnlov at 10:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To have everlasting life.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• You heard the joke about the man who told that same thing to God.

He said - "Look God, I don't need you, with this goop, and this electrical charge, I can create life." The man set the charge, and lo and behold, some little bacteria were formed.

"Wow," God said, "that's really good...Now do it without the goop."

Anonymous

• I certainly don't need god. And I look forward to the day when more people realize they don't need god either!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• We all are born with IMO a belief in a higher power than ourselves. Whether it be "God" or another being we believe in, it doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things as long as we have faith.
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Well, you certainly opened up a can of worms here...LOL! Um, the answer is a lot of people need to believe because NOT believing means they have to face the fact that they are not special and that they will die and that's the end of that. Many people can't handle that. They need somebody, ANYBODY to tell them that amongst billions of people, they are REALLY SPECIAL and that when death comes it won't be the end. Our hearts and minds don't need God...but our egos do. Our egos need something to make us feel like we mean something to somebody...and what better somebody to mean something to than a supreme being who created us especially and that loves us immensely and blah, blah, blah, all that jazz. I say, get over it, you're not special...you're an insignificant piece of flesh in a vast, immense universe. You do not matter to more than a handful of people and once they're gone and you're gone, you won't matter at all.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• We have the tools to do many things. The tools were created and given to us by God. Claiming we are gods within ourselves because we can use what is around us to bring about our own desires doesn't make it so simply because we refuse to give the author and creator of the tools we're using credit for it. In this statement, we're also failing to acknowledge how God lives and moves throughout us and brings his will into fruition. To remove him from the equasion would cause catastrophe to no end. Just because one can't see him moving and working does not mean he isn't.

It is quite possible that Revelations is metaphorical. Some early Christian theologians rejected it all together. My point being, God is sovereign. Even if humankind does end the world, it, as all things, is in the complete control and will of an absolute omnipotent God.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Kaye summed it up very nicely:)

I personally don't need a god.  Never have and never will!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• rune2319

We all are born with IMO a belief in a higher power than ourselves. Whether it be "God" or another being we believe in, it doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things as long as we have faith.

I can honestly say I have never felt that. I have known there was no god from a very, very early age.

And in my opinion, everyone is born Atheist, and your religion is imprinted on you (or attempts are made) by your parents and others around you.

Yeah...and what Kaye said.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 12:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• You need God, only as much as you believe in him...
    in otherwords.. you can fill in the blanks of things all you like.. every religion/belief is based on theories.... there is little evidence that can fully support one idea without contradicting evidence on the other side of the coin.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• We were created to worship Him and have fellowship with Him. Yet some people just do not want God. That is their choice. My choice is I want God in my life , I love to worship Him and fellowship with Him. I love God so much and He loves me. Without Him, I would be nothing.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:46 AM on Jun. 26, 2009