Does anyone here know how to help me fall asleep without the use of medication?

I need some advice. I have been sleep deprived the past few days...and beleive or not..it hasnt been because of my son. I just cant sleep. I have a history a Insomnia...but It hasnt bothered me in a long time. I was taking sleeping pills..the kind you get at the dollar store, and they were helping me just fine. Well, I ran out a few days ago and I dont have the extra money to get them yet., But since I ran out, i havent been able to sleep hardly at all. Mabey 2 hours a night...and its starting to catch up to me. I just need another method of helping me to shut my mind down long enough to fall asleep because as soon as I hit the bed, My mind goes crazy...and I cant relax enough to go to sleep. Anyone have a suggestion. It would be greatly appreciated.

BrittanyShay

Asked by BrittanyShay at 10:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• turn off the tv and computer and hour before you want to go to bed. take a nice bath and relax. lavender, jasmine and vanilla scents are all supposed to be relaxing and help induce sleep
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Glass of wine. Warm glass of milk. Long hot bath. Put on some classical music and relax.
    Anonymous

• You could try otc melatonin. It worked for me in the past...
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• you may try meditation before bed. Or stretching all your muscles. or even just tensing all your muscles in different sections at a time. Or yoga. ...all those things will help relax your mind and body.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Yes, Lavendar is wonderfully calming! That is why it is such a common ingredient in baby products. I found a lavendar linen spray that I used to spray on my pillow every night and I always fell asleep right away. chamomile is great too!!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• chamomile tea. celistial seasonings makes a good sleepy time tea, i am enjoying a cup now!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• oh yeah... and stretching before you get into bed. then lay on your back, close your eyes, and take ten(or more if needed!) really deep slow breaths. it really helps me!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I have a history a Insomnia too. I was on ambien last year and self weaned off of it. For the last month or so, I haven't gotten more than 3-4 hours a day. I don't really want to go back on meds since I'm a single Mom and I need to be alert (able) 24/7 in case one of the kids needs me. All the above suggestions sound like good ones that I will start trying to incorporate in my routine.

OP- thanks for posting this Q! Hope you can catch some Zzzzzzz's tonight!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• According to John Tesh, a peanut butter sandwich works. Turkey and peanut butter have the same 'I am sleepy thing"
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 10:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Beer.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2009