How many reps do you do?

I have always thought that you do 3 sets of 15 reps with everything. I have been doing this for a couple months and not really seeing any results. Do I need to do something different? I alternate working out on arms and legs. And do 20-30 minutes cardio! Don't need to lose weight but just tone up!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I prefer to lift a little bit heavier (and no, I don't look like a man), so I do three sets of 8 or 10 depending if I can get the last two reps out.
    sw33t_blond3

Answer by sw33t_blond3 at 5:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Your body will adapt to the activity you're doing every 3 months (or less), so it's a good idea to change things up a bit. As a general rule I focus on moderate weight, 3-5 sets at 8-12 reps for each exercise, resting between 30 seconds and 1 minute between each set. The last 1-2 reps should be challenging to complete. After 1-3 months I then switch (for 1-2 weeks) to considerably heavier weights, 3 sets of 4-6 reps only with 1-2 minute rest periods in between each set, then I switch back to my standard routine. On occassion I will go low weight and high rep, but very rarely as this has proven to be largely ineffective for me.
    Intrepid

Answer by Intrepid at 11:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Try taking a weightlifting class at your gym. They're usually called Powerlift or Body Pump or something like that. It's a great way to shake up your lifting routine so your muscles don't get bored.
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 8:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Great advice above. Too many women are scared of "bulking up" and refuse to lift heavier weights.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2009