Will it be possible for my dd to maintain relationship with her bf in Air Force if no talk of marriage right now?

My 18 y.o. dd's 17 y.o. bf will join the Air Force in a few months when he turns 18. He will go for basic training, then commit to 4 years before moving on to his career choice in law enforcement. How often can my dd expect to see her bf in the next 4 years and how does that work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• When he goest o basic she probably will not hear much of him or anything at all for about 6 months.
    After that, it's sort of a give and take. Each branch is different. it really depends on where he is stationed, what his MOS is, what unit he ends up with ...all sorts of things.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• well it will really depend on where he gets stationed, how far it is from where she lives. if he's close it will be easier for him to come see her more often. they get a certain amount of leave days (vacation days) a month, don't know what it is for air force you could google that and see. they don't get to use them every month, they can save them til a certain point when they will lose them (usually about 60-90 days they lose anything beyond that). as far as maintaining the relationship thats really up to them and if they can handle the long distance aspects. once he gets out of boot camp and school he'll be able to call and email whenever he wants. and she can always go visit him if he can't come see her. its really up to the both of them to try and make it work and get past the hard parts. if they make it through it than they should be able to make it through almost anything.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• hmmm. my DH saves his leave days longer then 60-90 days. You must be in a different branch then Army or AF?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• she can "see" him every day online on a webcam. That's what my dd does. They email and IM every day and often each day.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Baisc Training in the AF is 6 or 8 wekks. My son enlisted in 2003, and went to basic in August and Graduated in September. He would write lettters and call when he allowed/able to. He had an order of his calling. His grandfather, his girlfriend, then his mom.

Maintaining the relationship depends on the two of them. My son and his girlfriend managed, it was hard, and worth it to them. They are engaged and will be getting married 9/25/2010.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 11:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Basic is 6 weeks, Its is lacklead texas and she is more then welcome to go there when he graduates. Then he'll go to school for his job, then get stationed. Boot camp they can write and call home when allowed but after that they can talk everyday. I meet my husband when he was in school. He went to fort mead in maryland, i lived in jersey so I would drive down every weekend or he would take a bus home. (marines don't let first time students have cars). Then he got stationed in Cherry Point, NC and I would fly down once a month or he would fly up. but we talked every single night for like 2 years before we got married. So its up to them how much they want to. I know you can't really stop them once there 18, but try not to let them get married just to be together. I have seen this 100x+ they get married at 18, and shortly after here comes a baby. They'll most likely get into a ton of debt and be divorced by 21.
    Anonymous

• My daughter has a friend/boyfriend who is a marine and even when he was in Iraq he was able to call her and email her pretty regularly...so it is possible to stay in touch nowadays, probably more often than in the "old days". It really depends on their commitment level.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:11 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• yeh, I hate to say this, but alot of times either the relationship will end soon after he leaves...or they will get married so they can be together and then get divorced within a few years...probably after they have at least 1 or 2 kids together. That sounds horrible, but it's all too common.

I think it is possible that it could all work out...but it's hard to know who you are and have the kind of patience and commitment it takes to be in a long distance relationship when you're so young.
    huniyxyz

Answer by huniyxyz at 1:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• yes
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2010