what is considered to old to be a mom?

im 27 i have two year old.. but i was thinking bc we cant afford a big family now ..and i want a big family..mybe we will have our second when im 32 and then are last at 38.. is 38 old to have a baby.?. i would be 56 when the child ends high school.. i dnt know my son is only two and im worried abt the empty nest...lol.. plus im to broke to have all the kids i want back to back. what is to old that it become not healthy to be preggos?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• menopause
    Anonymous

• My aunt is 42 and just had a baby june 8. So if your body will allow it then you should be okay. I think once you hit 50 its too old. but being pregnant in your late 30s there are some health risk and stuff if your are unhealthy but if not then you will be fine. Good luck.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 11:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think in your 40s is pushing it.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• When you're too old to make one I guess.
    I had baby #3 at 41 & baby #4 at 42 and they are both great. I'm almost 45, my husband is 46 and they are 2 & 3 (soon to be 3 & 4) & we are able to run around and play with them and we're having a blast with them, as is our 24 & 18 yr old children.

Hope everything works as you want! Best Wishes.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• 35 is a safe bet if you want a healthy baby
    Anonymous

• LOL..this doesn't really speak to your question..but here goes.. My first was born whenI was 20 my last was born when I was 25. My oldest horndog..err..I mean son.. made me a grandma before I was 40. By the time I was 43 I had to take custody of an infant and a toddler. I can tell you it is WAY different dealing with a newborn at 25 than at 43. At 25 I didn;t have medical issues. Now at 46 I have a 5 and 6 yr old who don't understand why Grandma can't play on the floor. I have severe arthritis. I know this isn't the 'norm'...but none of us as a rule have kids when we can "afford "them. Finances work themselves out..physical issues are another matter entirely.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• you are more likely to miscarry pass 35
    Anonymous

• I safely had baby #3 at 37. Yes there were more associated risks of birth defects and miscarriage after 35, but he is more than fine. The chances of multiples also goes up as you pass 35 (a childhood friend wanted 1 more when she was 37, she ended up with natural triplets!) Have babies when you want to have babies, the rest will work itself out.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I am 47 and am pregnant with twins. I have 5 other children ages 9, 7, 5, 4 and 2. My kids keep me young. I still walk three miles while 4 months pregnant and keep up with all my kids. I have no clue if it would be easier if I was younger. When I was in my 20s and 30s I was working hard so I could retire young and just be home with my family. My husband is 50 and retired last year. We are both at home and get to just be with our family. People make remarks about us when they find out how old we are we ignore it. Most people think we are in our 30s unless we tell them otherwise. We are a physically fit and active family. I am sure if I ate a poor diet and never exercised my life would kick me in the butt. I will be too old to have children when I decide that. My grandmother 98 years old and still is very active. My parents are in their early 70s and just got back from back packing in the mountains. I get to choose
    Anonymous

• i think as long as your body lets you...but the problem is, you dont know, you just might go into early menopause or something.......

My husband is 24 yrs old and his mom is 63 ! ...it is so weird to tell people that his mom is older then my grandma ( who is 62..also his dad is 70) he has 2 brothers in thir 40s and then she decided she wanted 1 more....and now he has a neice older then him....And 2 years ago adopted 2 of her grandkids ( 5 & 8 years old ) ..............

So if you think you can handle it, do it....but just decide what kind of grandma you want to be...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2009