Breastfeeding- how can I make more milk? Im drying up

I was feeding my 6 week old on demand, but I had to take antibiotics and stopped for a week. Now I can only produce enough for maybe on feeding a day. My doctor gave me Fenugreek an herb that is supposed to help *main ingredient in "mothers milk"* Any other suggestions?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 11:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stay well hydrated and nurse nurse nurse! Put that baby to breast every hour and let them suck for as long as they will. Instead of giving bottles get a SNS (supplimental nursing system). It's a little tube connected to a bag of the suppliment that is taped to your breast so that your breast is still stimulated while baby is recieving suppliments. I cannot stress enough that you MUST put the baby to breast VERY often!

Also, it is almost never necessary to wean while you are taking antibiotics. You got really bad advice. I'd drop that doctor and get someone who knows a little more about breastfeeding, or at least make contact with a LLL leader or IBCLC you can check in with when you get nursing advice from a doctor. Docs receive literally an hour of training in breast feeding in med school.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Drink more liquids. Preferably juice and water,
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• lots of water! i had to drink two tall glasses before each feeding. i also drank lots of the tea. i think the heat from the tea helped also.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• NURSE NURSE DRINK WATER NURSE. Repeat. If you don't nurse more you won't make more. It usually takes 24-48hr to see an increase in supply. Try not to supplement if possible or if you have to use an SNS as suggested above. I'm curious why you stopped while on antibiotics? Did the doctor not give you one compatible with nursing? If that wasn't possible did you pump and dump for that week?
    2cubs

Answer by 2cubs at 11:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The more you nurse the more your body will make. Even if your little one isn't hungry you should pump every hour or so until your supply comes back.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• :You have all the advice I would give. Good luck and I hope it works.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• That is all the advice I could give too....well and the next time the doc wants to put you on something demand something nursing friendly. I practically had to fist fight to get stuff I could take and nurse. If possible have a nursing weekend. Take baby to bed with you for the weekend, and just nurse nurse nurse.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• wait who told you had to stop breast feeding when you take antibiotics i didn't not have too i can still breast feed if after sometime my breast had infection from my baby mouth

just keep feeding your breast and drink a lot of water
    you get back the supply :)
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Try pumping in between feedings, It will help regenerate your milk supply. I'm confused on why if you were told to stop nursing while taking the antibiotic why they didn't tell you to pump 'n dump so that this problem did not happen??!!
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 12:29 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Well...first, fire whomever told you to stop nursing for antibiotics. Isn't so. That damage is done, I know, but let's avoid it in the future.

Nurse nurse nurse. Best way to increase supply is to put baby to breast. Yes, the fenugreek will help but won't do a darned thing unless you put baby to breast and LEAVE baby there for as long as baby wants. Oh, and if baby fusses...GREAT! Fussing is what increases supply. You don't WANT a happy baby when you have a supply issue! **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 2:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2009