How can I have an unassisted birth?

Will I be ok, honestly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i would go with a midwife. they really listen to what you want but if anything goes wrong you are covered!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i kinda want to see too... how would that be done.. would you need a dula?
    Anonymous

• get prepared to be bashed.

If you are going to do an unassisted birth you better get on top of your research RIGHT NOW. right yourself out a birth plan asap. you need to know AT LEAST as much as a midwife does. So i suggegst you hit the books asap!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I will need a little more information to tell you honestly. What is your past history with birth? Why are you choosing an unassisted birth? What do you know about childbirth? Do you have any training in birth? Have you read anything about unassisted birth? Would you feel more comfortable having a midwife attend you? An unobtrusive midwife will let you catch your own baby and will not bother you through your labor process except to check the baby's heartbeat periodically. Perhaps that would be a better option?

I can tell you that 9 out of 10 women would be completely fine having an unassisted birth, so long as they are informed and know what to do. 1 in 10, though, can be a pretty big statistic. PM me if you want, I promise I won't judge you! Facts only :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I've already researched a lot, I'm just worried what if the baby is strangled by the cord, what if it's breech, what if I bleed to death and can't get to the phone?????
    Anonymous

• You dont have someone else who will be there? Your husband or boyfriend or a friend? Unassisted doesn't mean completely alone. A woman should never give birth completely alone.

1/3 of babies are born with the cord around their neck, it's true. Usually this is a very simple fix... you just check for the cord as soon as the head is out and gently pull it over their head if it is around their neck. No big deal :) You need to read up on what to do in emergency situations. Where do you live? If midwifery isn't illegal in your state you will be able to find a midwife who can help coach you through the process and tell you what to expect.

If you please, I ask you to answer the rest of my questions. I will definately be able to help you much more that way :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• the court around the neck can be more dangerous then just needing to unwrap it when the head is out. A cord around the neck can actually strangle the baby (if it is tight and short enough) and not allow them to completely crown. Then you baby would die before you even realized something was up. Thats why I would encourage you to at least have a midwife present to check the heartbeat periodically because, typically, if the cord is tight then the heartbeat will be dropping so you would have some warning.

But how do you have an unassisted birth? (since that was your question) You simply go into labor and not call a midwife or doctor and not go to the hospital. But I personally would NEVER do that!
    Anonymous

• Get great prenatal care with a wonderful midwife, and you may even want to have her in or around your home as you are giving birth just in case you need her. A lot can go wrong during a birth, and though they rarely do in typical safe home birth, it is important to have a back up plan. I am also saying this as a strong advocate for home births/unassisted births. There is a great group on here called "birth unhindered", that has a lot of very well informed women, and even some midwives that would be more than happy to assist you in seeking knowledge to accomplish this very noble and challenging feat. Congratulations for your choice to go unassisted!!!
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/

Check this out I am planning to have one too and really you have to be comfortable with your self and your ability so that you aren't sacred because fear can be your biggest obstetrical. And you have to understand that things can go wrong but trust your body and if you feel you need to get medical help then get it. Good luck and don't let anyone talk you out of it because they are scared!
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I am Planning an Unassisted birth with this baby.

I say Research your choices, and your "What ifs"...Learn to let your fears go because You CANT be terrified...Your body doesnt work right when your freaking out! (Its called the Fight/flight response)

Get a Good book on Homebirth that has explanations of what to do and when...Then Study it.

Dont go into this lightly (I doubt you did but still....I SWEAR most people think we just woke up one morning saying I want a UC with no research behind it.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2009