blood-red dots

For a few days, my son had two pink bumps on his face that looks like mosquito bites. No biggie. This evening, I noticed that they had turned blood-red and almost look like tiny blood-filled blisters, but not quite. My SO said that he did fall onto his face (on the carpet). Then I saw more dots appear on his face (I counted five in total). He's eating, drinking, and behaving just fine. No fever, no other signs of illness, no bumps anywhere else except for the two bug-bite looking ones on his ankle. The ones on his face are between his eyebrows, and on his temple, and across his forehead. I figured I'd wait until tomorrow morning to call his doctor if they're still there. I don't think it's urgent. (Please correct me if I am wrong!) But it's bugging me... what the heck could it be?? Why did they turn blood-red when/after he fell on his face, or was it a coincidence? He just turned 1 yr old on the 17th.

ShadesofGrey

Asked by ShadesofGrey at 11:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Hmm... could it be chickenpox? If they are itchy they could have turned red because he scratched them. If he starts swelling or having difficulty breathing then it's probably an allergic reaction. If he's having troulbe breathing, obviously, take him to the ER. If the swelling is severe take him to the ER. Otherwise wait it out. If it's chickenpox, he's a little young and he might have some trouble overcoming it, especially if you are not nursing. I think he's probably fine.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• That's what I thought at first... but he's not one bit itchy. If I remember correctly, chickenpox is usually accompanied by fever. I was also worried about allergic reaction... but no breathing issues, swelling, etc. He was acting fine, we even went out to see some fireworks. Just those weird blood-red spots. Thanks for your input!
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Had he been yelling alot? or really screaming? the pressure from screaming hard can cause something like that(thinking it is dif with every person)
    I do know that I have dots (got these wonderful thing when I was pg with DD) around my body...dif places but they are smooth to the touch Dr said their is nothing to do about them. But when I pg with DS I had a "blood blister" that when it broke it got bigger and I had to have that removed(it had a name but dont know it)
    I hope and think it is nothing but def ask the dr since it is something new.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• He could have an allergic reaction without swelling or breathing problems. Some allergies are just rashes. He could have broke a blood vessel and the dots will go away on their own. He could have had an allergic reaction to something in the air or on the carpet.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 26, 2009