Is a college education a right or a privilege?

After reading some posts, I have to wonder if a college education in the US has gone from being a privilege to a right. I'm not questioning it's importance, it is important. It just appears that some beleive this is just as important as food, shelter, etc. So, I was just wondering if you think a college education is a right or a privilege?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think its a priviledge that should be a right......if that makes sense. I mean, to get a really good job these days, you need either a college degree, years of experience, or both. So i dont know if "right" would the correct term, though.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• no its a privilege, you have to work hard to go to college
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Anon 12:17, you mean like Australia? There you can get a college education through the government for nothing (or close to nothing).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• It used to be a priviledge but it became a right when it became necessary to have one in order to provide your family with a decent life...and by decent I mean safe shelter, plenty of food, clothing and medical care. If it's almost impossible to get those things without a college education, then it ceases being a priviledge and turns into a right. You used to be able to have those things without a college education...nowadays, it's a lot harder....getting to be impossible. So, yes, it's slowly becoming a right.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 12:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• College in most developed countries is a privilege. Not everyone makes it, even when the government pays for it. Most students are segregated out through testing-- if you pass, you move on to the next level. Ultimately, students are segregated until some go on to college and some go on to some form of trade school, and some don't get into either.

The difference in the US is that anyone, as long as they can pay, can get into college. Many might have to start with a community college, but it's a stepping stone to the University.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• "I mean, to get a really good job these days, you need either a college degree, years of experience, or both."

I disagree. All my wealthiest friends didn't go to college. All started their own businesses or saved and invested their money in real estate or both. Many are retired in their 40's or 50's. What they all had in common was the ability to see opportunity, work hard, save money, and invest. Most had already created successful businesses by the time their peers graduated from college. Then they hired the college boys to work for THEM.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• privilege
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• It's a right. Everyone should have access to knowledge. Sure if you flunk out that's on you but everyone should have the opportunity. Does that mean it has to be free? No. But college tuition rises faster than inflation.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• College is a business. I would prefer it to be an education. It's really sad to meet a recent business school Bachelor's degree graduate who can't comprehend simple math. So many of them don't get the big dollar jobs they were dreaming about during school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I think it's a privilege. However, I think a decent basic education is a right - something many kids in this country never get.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2009