belly casting

Has anyone ever done a belly cast? I want one to paint it make it all neat and stuff. My SO thinks its dumb... Do they really come out as nice as they look in the pictures?

ggiovanni

Asked by ggiovanni at 12:16 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I did one during my second pregnancy. I still haven't decorated mine, but they usually come in a kit with everything you need to cast, sand, and prime the cast with. Plus there's lots of tips on decorating on the internet. It was a fun experience to have during my last pregnancy, and it's nice to have a keepsake.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My mother did mine and my brother's wife. What she does is she pours plaster into the cast and then sculpts what didn't come out perfectly and paints it (she is a professional artist). She then designs it so it hangs from a ribbon on the wall. It is really neat. I know there are kits out there for them, but we bought army bandages used to make casts and newspapers. It turned out really well. She hasn't finished my sculpture yet, but my brother's wife turned out so beautiful!! We also did it where we were cradling our breasts with our arms crossed so it seems a little more modest instead of nipping or what not. I personally really liked the way she does put plaster straight into the belly cast because that way it does become more of a work of art instead of some cocoon that can easily be bumped or broken. Those to me look silly like mummies.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 2:18 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Plus with doing the sculpture, it eliminates worrying about the cast "clumping" or looking stupid on the outside. The only thing you have to worry about is the inside becoming as close to perfect as possible to keep your shape.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 2:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2009