Drying up?

I have been (almost) EBFing since my DD was born. She is 2 1/2 months old. I do supplemet with bottles on occassion, like when we are out for a long time and don't really have the time/place to BF. But lately I have been noticing a change. It seems like DD isn't being satisfied enough. I will feed her from both sides for at least an hour total(per feeding) but she is still hungry and fusses and seems to lose interest. I am not able to get even the slightest amount out when I try to express any by hand, or pump. I know pumps don't get out near as much as the baby can, but I used to be able to get at least an oz or so. My breasts have become considerably smaller and I don't feel like there is any milk at all most times. After I feed DD(for the hour from both sides) I have started making a 4 oz bottle b/c she still seems so hungry. She ALWAYS finishes it. My question is, is it possible that I am drying up or is it something else?

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Your milk is regulating, it's COMPLETELY normal, and usually happen when baby is around 3 months old. Neither pumping, or your breasts feeling "full" are indicators of supply. Once your milk starts to regulate you will natually be able to pump less, and you will definitely stop feeling as full as you used to.

So listen up! If your daughter is having 6+ wet diapers a day and a bowel movement at least every 10 days, she is definitely getting enough to eat. This is the ONLY thing that matters! Any normal baby will be happy to finish a four ounce bottle even after getting their fill of breastmilk, that does not mean your daughter isnt getting enough. It's also normal for a baby at this age to never be satisfied and to constantly want to nurse. Nurse her whenever she wants for as long as she wants, count diapers, and STOP giving the bottles! If anything is hurting your supply, it's the bottles!

Keep up the good work :) :) :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• If this is your first child - it is very possible that you don't have enough milk. Express for 24 hours and see how much milk you are producing that way you can weigh that against what your baby needs in 24 hours - then you'll know if you're producing enough or not.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• the same thing happened to me and soon after i jus wasnt able to produce milk anymore...
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 1:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Don't feel bad, I was happily breastfeeding my son when suddenly I got the flu and I dried up. I only BF for 6 weeks :(
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Oh and I thought I would add, so you didnt become influenced by other posters, it is a complete and total myth that your milk can just mysteriously and suddenly dry up one day. That does NOT just happen.

However, If you continue to give bottles, or nurse on a strict schedule rather than on demand(not saying you do this), yes your milk may dry up.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:23 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Pacemyself- a pump will never get out the same amount that a baby breastfeeding will. that is not an accurate way to measure how much milk a mom makes.

Most women make plenty of milk. It is supply and demand though. Have her nurse more often. Pump between sessions. Make your body think you need to make more. It is very likely she is experiencing a growth spurt. During growth spurts baby will nurse more often. They need the extra breastmilk to support their growth. Keep drinking plenty of water and you can try taking Fenugreek, an herb, that works really well to increase supply. If you do give her formula, make sure you pump so that your body still knows that your milk is needed. The less you breastfeed, the less milk your body will make. Good luck. Oh, another thing is that once your body adjusts to breastfeeding, it is completely normal for your breasts to not feel heavy or full. Keep track of wet diapers. 6-8 a day is good
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I saw that you also posted this in the babies section. I was going to suggest you join the breastfeeding moms group here on cafemom, where you will find much better advice. I have to say, you have gotten some very terrible advice in your two different answer sections you posted in. I know that these women are just trying to help, but I fear they may do you more harm than good.

Please come join us in the breastfeeding moms group! There are a lot of very knowledgable women there who would be happy to give you friendly and *accurate* advice!!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:34 AM on Jun. 26, 2009