Drying up?

I have been (almost) EBFing since my DD was born. She is 2 1/2 months old. I do supplemet with bottles on occassion, like when we are out for a long time and don't really have the time/place to BF. But lately I have been noticing a change. It seems like DD isn't being satisfied enough. I will feed her from both sides for at least an hour total(per feeding) but she is still hungry and fusses and seems to lose interest. I am not able to get even the slightest amount out when I try to express any by hand, or pump. I know pumps don't get out near as much as the baby can, but I used to be able to get at least an oz or so. My breasts have become considerably smaller and I don't feel like there is any milk at all most times. After I feed DD(for the hour from both sides) I have started making a 4 oz bottle b/c she still seems so hungry. She ALWAYS finishes it. My question is, is it possible that I am drying up or is it something else?

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. You are NOT drying up! it takes a LONG time to dry up.

What's going on?

1. She's due for a growth spurt. So don't look for her to seem happy.

2. She may have developed nipple preference. Some babies do, and they get frustrated more easily. So save the bottles for when you are NOT with her. It's legal to nurse wherever you are. Just walk around like you own the place, with your head held high...people don't confront women with ATTITUDE. (The ones who DO bother you? Waste of skin. Pay them NO attention.)

3. Your breasts are SUPPOSED to get smaller. Don't worry about it.

4. What you pump means NOTHING.

You've regulated to baby's needs. Just avoid the bottle so you stay with her needs. But you're doing great.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:05 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• sounds like you are drying up or at least slowing down. Talk to doc, or lactation consultant for tips to up your supply but it could be your bodies way of telling you it is worn out, and dont feel bad about that hon. You do what you can and as long as dd is healthy and happy...then you are a good mommy. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I would say its possible. Contact your local Le Leche League for advice. That's how my breasts are now, but my daughter is 8 months and I only feed her maybe 4 times a day- and she's eating solids. I only feed her at night mostly. I would be a little concerned- if you can, just let her eat as much as she can and even when you think your out, let her still continue. She will get milk out of you- believe me! Make sure your drinking plenty of fluids as well! Good luck!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:16 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I would stop bottle feedings or at least minimize them as much as possible. she could be getting frustrated at the breast because she's not use to "working for her milk". Also she could be going through a growth spurt. I would just stick to ebfing her for awhile and nurse her on demand and let her nurse as long as she wants. You supply will cacth up to her demand (supply on demand). Also since its been hot make sure you are getting plenty of water.... keep water nearby you whenever you are nursing. And you can also get in contact with a lactation consultant and a even a La Leche League leader www.llli.org
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• if you are want to produce more milk try eating oatmeal. works everytime for me! (: worth a shot.
    dolphinstar79

Answer by dolphinstar79 at 2:12 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Drink lots of water
    nurse frequently, at least every half hour
    pump after nursing
    take brewers yeast tablets
    have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    don't be afraid to breastfeed in public; you eat out, so should your baby

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2009