My daughter had a great deal of friends in the school year..now the end is near how can we keep the friendships going over the summer.

Daughter is 12 and is a bit shy..does not like hanging out ..not really into boys yet.
Best friend hurt her very badly by setting her up on phone and having another friend talk about her,,she really thought jess was her friend and was very hurt..so now does not have trust for many girls

pierresmom

Asked by pierresmom at 1:51 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• You cant really force the issue. As moms we want our kids to have alot of friends, and Im sure she will when school starts but when she is shy its hard to get her to open up when she does really have to. Does she have a myspace, Im sure most of her friends do. You could let her have one and monitor it. That way she keeps in touch and can set up sleep overs and stuff
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:58 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• set up a girls day with her and like 2 close friends and maybe their moms! My mom didi that for me when I was little, she took me and a friend from school to a water park then out to eat at the rain forrest cafe' then for ice cream! We had a blast and everyone wanted to hang out with me after that because my mom was "so cool!" lol
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 2:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My first question for you is does she want to keep any of these friends. If she doesnt like going out and hanging out maybe invite the friends over to your house. Even keeping in touch on the phone helps. If she doesn't hang with them during the summer don't worry, some kids don't talk over the summer and go back to school and have the same friends around. Do you know if any of her friends are going to a summer camp. Camp is always a good way to stay in touch with friends that may be going, or to even make new friends.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 2:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Let her have sleepovers and she could call them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• For the friends she wants to keep in contact here are some ideas: do they like to email? maybe email back and forth or online chat, what about her inviting her friends over once in a while?, Maybe have a sleepover, or have them come over for pizza and a movie, let her invite her friends to go with to fun places-- like the movies, out for pizza, a waterpark......
    My oldest is 12 and has ASD- he has a hard time socially- he has 2 friends. We have invited 1 for overnights, and pizza and movie nights, the other has come over and the kids played on the Wii...and they had 1 day where they played water fight-- we bought water balloons and the kids had fun tossing those and doing a slip n slide. I am thinking of renting some different Wii games and inviting the kids over... and I am also thinking of having a day out at Chuck-E-Cheese
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• WE'LL She can always e-mail her friends to keep in touch and make plans to do things.or have her call her friends on the phone and talk for a while . and have her invite her friends over and maybe her friends will invite her over someday.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2009