• In the Spotlight:

my 5 year old is not ready for kindergarten..

I took my son to get tested to see if he is ready for kindergarten. He is not. I feel horrible I have been working with him on his name, numbers, letters etc. He is not doing what the school feels he should. Our school district offer a teddy program its a kindegarten readness program. then next year my son will go to kindergarten. So my son will be in kindergarten for two years. I rather have my son held back now than being left behind.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if thats what you feel is right then do it... I am not really sure what the question is but it is better that he be prepared then picked on when all his friends move on and he doesnt.. no parent wants there kid to go through that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• dont beat yourself up hon. Taking cre of this now is the best choice.This in no way reflect badly on you as a mom...some kids just are not ready yet. it'll be ok (hugs)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:46 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My daughter is an October baby which ment she would of started Kindergarten at 4. I opted to enroll her in pre-k. She just wasnt ready emotionally. That year made a big difference. I worried about her being older then other students. It doesnt really matter at this young age if they can count to 100 in chinese. If they arent ready emotionally they arent ready :). Your son will do great!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I have known many parents who waited another year before sending their child to Kindergarten and none of them regretted their decision. I also have known parents that should have held their child back and did not and really regretted that decision. Did you son go to pre-k at all? You can prepare children just so much at home. They really need at least one year of pre-k. Will your son be able to attend preschool the coming school year, because sitting out a whole year would not be beneficial to him. He can use this extra year to get really ready socially, emotionally, academically.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:26 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Most parents in your position make that choice and it's fine. I'm a certified teacher. Usually children in your son's situation are born late in the school year, so would've been one of the youngest in their class any way.

Your the parent and have to decide what's right for your kid. I personally would not hold my kids back. I don't want my kids graduating high school at 19 and starting college a year late.

It's just your choice as to what to do. I've known kids that did the teddy program and did just fine later in school. I've also known kids that their parents worked with them hard at home to keep them in the class they were the age for and they did fine too.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• To be honest: I wish I would have held my daughter back one year and started her in K at age six. She had a really hard time because she was the youngest one in her class. If you have the chance: do the pre-k. Because Its sooooo much better to hold him back now: then five years from now. They are already learning money, reading , ect in K. Let him get ready by interacting with kids n a pre-k. I may even hold my lil girl back this year: just so she can REALLY understand everything they do in school! Good luck!
    PS: Talk to your school counsler to find out the Pros n cons of early K!
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 11:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I am with the other posters--nothing to worry about! My daughter just turned 6, and she will be entering kindergarten in August. I purposely held her back a year to give her more time to mature and prepare. I did send her to a 4-day per week, 1/2 day kindergarten program to continue her learning so she should really do great in school. This is probably a very good thing for your child.
    Anonymous

• I feel your pain. I totally know how it feels when someone tells you, your child isn't ready. It's a very painful blow to the heart. But please follow whatever your heart tells you. Some children don't do good when they are being tested.
    An extra yr before K, is good. Once he comes home with a smile and excited about showing you what he had learned that day, you will forget some of your pain. Enjoy the school year, the years start flying fast after this. Good Luck!
    lighthouse98

Answer by lighthouse98 at 4:07 AM on Jun. 30, 2009