Need help with bed time

Okay I finally got my oldest son potty trained but here is the issue. He is now using going potty to get out of bed at night. We never had an issue with bed time before until I potty trained him. I don't want to punish him for wanting to go potty but he will go then 5min later tell me he has to go again and nothing will come out. What do I do??

Leauna

Asked by Leauna at 3:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds like a very tough situation! I personally do not know! Maybe if you tell him he gets to go once before bedtime??? Or somehow rock him in his room until he's almost out? I'm in the process of potty training my daughter and I guess that is what I would try telling her... this sounds like a difficult situation to me but those are my ideas! I hope it gets better!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:59 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My son did this. He used every reason to prolong bedtime.
    Snack, drink, another goodnight kiss, potty, you name it he tried it.
    So one day, I let him color and design a bedtime pass. It was good for ONE get out of bed. He had to hand it over when he came out of his room. Took a few nights to get the idea, but it worked. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Thanks ladies I'll give these a try :D
    Leauna

Answer by Leauna at 11:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Start a routine playing hide the book. Get a book about going to bed. Tell him before you play, he has to brush teeth, go to the bathroom, take bath, THEN you hide the book in his room for him to find. He finds it, you read it and then IF he stays in bed, you will play hide the book the next night so he needs to make sure he has taken care of everything BEFORE he goes to bed. Put on a audio tape for him to listen to or soft music. When kids get into a routine and know what is expected, they seem to go to bed without problems. Here are some bedtime books http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html (Click on Bedtime/Sleep/Afraid of the Dark)  also on the bottom of the page is the link for listening library for audio tapes.  Keep up routine for at least six weeks to build a habit.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I let Natalie go to the bathroom one time during bedtime. After that I tell her I have to see the pee or the poop or she goes to time out for not telling the truth. Its not that I am punishing her for going to the potty. That I want her to do but I do want her to tell the truth about it. Hope you find something that works for you!

nataliesmommy21

Answer by nataliesmommy21 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• momjs thanks thats a really good idea. I think once we move into our new house I'll start doing something like that. Unfortantly our schedual kind of went out the window when we started looking for a house and I probably didn't pick a great time to potty train him while we were doing the house stuff. OH well lesson learned for my other son lol but I do think I'll give that a try when we get settled.
    Nataliesmommy21, I totally understand why you do what you do and don't think ONE bit that its wrong keep up the good work :D Lea
    Leauna

Answer by Leauna at 2:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2009