What is an inflammed cervix? (A little scared)

I had my annual examine yesterday and the dr told me that I have an inflammed cervix. She told me that it can be nothing simple as a bacterial infection, but I am scared. When I asked about cervical cancer she told me that I was getting ahead of her. I have to admit I am a little scared.

twinmommy416

Asked by twinmommy416 at 6:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Health

• Inflammation often results in mildly abnormal Pap tests. These may result in the diagnosis of CIN I in the CIN grading system, ASCUS in the Bethesda System or changes consistent with Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) infection. An inflamed cervix may appear red, irritated, or eroded. Some of the common causes of cervical inflammation are:

bacteria (from an infection)

viruses, especially herpes infections and condyloma cuminata (warts)

yeast or monilia infections

trichomonas infections

pregnancy, miscarriage, or abortion

chemicals (for example, medications)

hormonal changes
    When the inflammation is treated and cleared, repair through metaplasia usually will follow. In several months, a repeat Pap test will often then be normal.

HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 6:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2009