Can I take a car back to the dealer after I signed the contract? I've had it for 4 days?

I bought a car on Monday night and signed the contract and wrote a redi-loan check from my credit union. The check has not cleared but I don't know how to get rid of the car. The car not driving right and it may be the transmission. There is no warranty on the vehicle. Can anyone help?

Daniela1187

Asked by Daniela1187 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• From what I know "most" places, even car dealerships, have what is called "remorse" return period.I don't know how many days they give you to bring car back, but I'd contact the dealership... But, a lot of times if car was bought "AS IS" I don't think you can take it back. I'd check with somebody who knows the law about issues like this. Have you talked to the people that you bought the car from? AND being a woman take a man with you...Yes, even in this day and age people especially car salespeople will take advantage of women...Good Luck
    7257PamLaFs

Answer by 7257PamLaFs at 8:59 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• One other thing put a stop payment on check...
    7257PamLaFs

Answer by 7257PamLaFs at 9:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• There is a difference in selling a car "as-is" and selling a lemon. If they told you that it had no mechanical issues and it obviously does, tell them you're going to report them to BBB, and hire a lawyer. That might scare them into taking it back.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I think so...I think you have up to 10 days under the "buyers remorse" law. Check the state that your in as each state differs....theres also a "Lemon Law" that also give you the right to return the vehicle in a certain amount of time....a lot of the time, if you have really good reason and a good car lot, the salesman will work with you. Sometimes you will have to forfeit your down payment....thats the reason why they get such a large amount down. Often the down covers what they have invested, especially at a used car lot....hmm, i know right... good luck
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 9:59 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• ohhh make sure that when you return the vehicle that they (the car lot) doesnt take you vehicle and then auction off the vehicle for a very small amount and then hold you responsible for the remaining balance. They do that to...on a returned vehicle. They take to to a so-called auction...auction it off for a very low amount then sue you, then a representative from that same car lot (depending on the size of the dealership) buys your car back and puts it on yet a different lot , maybe in a different county or state, that belongs to them to resale...so they get double the payment on the car...they do this with repoes...so beware of the return policies...id ask an attorney first before i did to much with the car lot
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 10:07 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• You need to do something about it today. Contact the bank and stop payment on the check. I got a lemon the last time I bought a used car, but we bought from an individual instead of a dealer and didn't find out as soon as you did.

I also agree with taking a man with you. You will get better results if you do. If you do not have a SO, then take your dad or another man you trust.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I believe with any contract the law is 3 days from contract signing. Did you put money down. They may let you just take it back and lose your down payment. If not, they really have no reason to take it back especially if there is something wrong with it. Youcould take it back and just talk to them. Can't hurt.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Depends on the state you are in. Some you have three days others you have no time to change your mind. I would think you are past your time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• When you bought the car , why didnt you take it to a mechanic or get a carfax report....most dealerships are not going to tell you to do these things, but if yo ubought it as is you are most likely stuck with your purchase.......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2009