Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I take a car back to the dealer after I signed the contract? I've had it for 4 days.

I bought a car on Monday night and signed the contract and wrote a redi-loan check from my credit union. The check has not cleared but I don't know how to get rid of the car. The car not driving right and it may be the transmission. There is no warranty on the vehicle. Can anyone help?

Answer Question

Asked by Daniela1187 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Shopping

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Here in Va, I believe we have 3 days. I would suggest calling the dealership and telling them about it and that you want to give it back. If they don't want to comply I would call a lawyer who deals with the lemon law. Ask for their opinion and then you can take further action.

    Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • Check into the lemon laws in your state.

    Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:05 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • I agree you typically have a 48 or 72 hour time to stop a contract. They will most likely try to switch you to a diffrent car instead of letting you out of a contract completly. Sounds like your time is up, maybe go to a local car repair place and get a written estimate to fix your car. Then show that to the dealer and threaten the Lemon Law, maybe he will be willing to work with you. You can always get a local intrest news cast to help.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • This is why you should have taken it to a mechanic before buying. It may be to late. You bought a car with no warranty knowing anything could be wrong with it. Better contact the dealership.


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • I thought the contract cancellation law was after signing to agree to take it not off the lot.

    op read your contract it should be imprinted on their the cancellation return policy.

    At the very least call your state's Consumer's Affairs Division by googling your state.

    Maybe they'll tell you to call dealer and tell them and ask them to fix it for you if your in financial hardship and bought it believing from them it was in good working condition.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • Here in MI, no, you'd be SOL. Depends on the laws specific to your state.

    Answer by KLBrown at 10:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.