Has anyone had a toddler complain of pain in their legs and refuse to walk on them after having a fever and being sick?

My 4 year old has been home sick most of this week with a fever, runny nose, and cough. His fever finally broke and he was able to go to daycare yesterday. Last night he started complaining about his legs hurting and when I asked him where, he pointed to the back of his legs at his calves just below the knee. So I brushed it off as sore muscles and put him to bed. He woke up this morning and said they hurt really bad and wouldn't even walk on them. We tried everything to get him to walk from games to even trying to "trick" him into walking, but he refused. After we all woke up and got dressed, he began to walk a little on them, but still favored them and wouldn't walk far before asking me to carry him. I took him to the doctor this morning and she said it sounded like viral myalgia (sp?). That sometimes after a virus, it can settle in their joints or muscles and cause them to ache. Has anyone ever heard of this?

rlb0503

Asked by rlb0503 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I think your instincts are right and that he needs to be seen by a doctor. I'd take him to his pediatrician or to an urgent care clinic. It could just be a result of his being sick, but I haven't heard of anything like this, which is why I'd be concerned, too. Please post a follow up so we know how he is doing?

Answer by Bmat at 9:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• no but i used to have really really bad leg pains when i was little, rubbing alchol rubbed on the legs helped put a little in your hand and massage it in, not alot just a little bit, or asorbine jr. works amazingly! or just massage the legs rub your hands together to warm them up and that might help a little too. asorbine jr though is amazing stuff i highly highly reccomend it. it does wonders for the pain. i used to scream and couldnt walk when i had them but my parents did those things for me and it worked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• NO rubbing alcohol...studies have now shown that alcohol can cause alcohol poisoning in children, vomiting, and coma.

I have heard of viral myalgia and that does sound like he has it. It is where the virus infiltrates the muscles and joints and is particularly found in small children. Unfortunately they can't do anything for him unless your doctor thinks he could be given ibuprofen for pain. It is just going to have to run it's course and that may take up to a couple weeks. I hope the little man feels better soon. Good Luck..
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Thank you all for your answers & advice!!! It freaked us out a little this morning when he wouldn't walk at all!!! It does make me feel better that someone has heard of viral myalgia, I wasn't sure wether to seek another opinion or take the doctor's word because everyone I talked to this morning had never heard of their diagnosis.

He did seem to improve after a little tylenol, and he begged to go to daycare, so I reluctantly took him, but the doctor said it was fine as long as he didn't have a fever. I'll post if anything more comes out of it.

Thank you all!!! :)
    rlb0503

Answer by rlb0503 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• not to scare you or anything but my friends little boy was having similar problems, fever and pain in his legs and not wanting to walk or walking funny when he did walk and it turned out to be cancer. definately see his pediatrician about it and get a second opinion if the first one doesn't sit right with you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Jun. 28, 2009