• In the Spotlight:

Nurses out there.. are you having trouble finding a job or working 36 hrs/week?

I am an RN who works at a hospital and ever since the economy went sour I've not been working full time hours. They say the census is down and that there aren't as many patients as there used to be. How is this? I thought nurses were in a shortage. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this same problem. I support my family including my 14 month old son and now I am worried about the finances.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• Really? No problems like that here! That's very hard to believe! And I don't live in a big town either. Maybe you should go job searching. Even if its for a part time job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I live in south Florida and you'd think there would be alot of patients, as everyone comes here to retire. I am looking for another job at 2 other hospitals in the area but they say they are on a "hiring freeze". I am so frusturated and stressed, I don't want to move.
    caroline123

Answer by caroline123 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I hardly believe that, people still get sick when the economy is down and some who don't usually use an emergency room have to because of lost jobs and income. I suppose the hospital very well could be financially stressed just as anyone else is so they have to cut hours though. I'm in Houston and we have a shortage of nurses. In fact i hear that all the time but I guess the economy is keeping some from hiring. Do you have a nursin ghome or long term care facility near. They always need help. Maybe a couple of days a week would help.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• You need to come to Utah then.. Also we need teachers from what I hear...
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 12:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Sounds nice... is it cooler in Utah? It's so hot here, heat index of 110 degrees with 95% humidity.
    caroline123

Answer by caroline123 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• check other departments at your hospital, check other hospitals in your area

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I have checked other depts, the nurses there are having the same problem with getting called off. My husband is looking for a full time job because of this.
    caroline123

Answer by caroline123 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I've had trouble finding work, but that's because I am an LPN and only want to work two second shifts a week until I graduate with my RN (Dec. 2010). Everything I've seen is either on-call (which doesn't work b/c DH is on call and I can't leave the kids alone), overnight (again, the kids and DH on call), or full-time.

I've heard that some local hospitals are on a hiring freeze. I'm just hoping things will eventually improve. It's not like people will stop needing health care.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2009