Still in diapers for sleeping?

My dd is 3.5. She's been fully potty trained for over a year....but, she still wears a diaper for bed. Is this common? Her diap is usually pretty full in the morning...although, we don't restrict liquid intake during the evening, so I'm sure if we did, it wouldn't be as bad...

PB_J

Asked by PB_J at 9:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, it's common. Limiting fluids will not help and is not recommended by the AAP. Wetting at night has nothing to do with daytime training. She may wet for several more years before she outgrows it. Every once in a while, put her in panties at night for a week - you can put them under the pullup to minimize the mess if you want. See if she improves during the week. If she does, switch to panties once she is dry 5 nights out of 7. Be sure she knows you are just checking to see if her BODY is ready to stay dry - this is not something she can control. Some kids self train when they feel the wet, some don't, sleeping right on through even soaking wet. Parents who have kids who are dry at night didn't do anything "magically right" or have smart kids and you aren't doing anything "wrong" and don't have a "slow" kid. Your child is just different than theirs - just like having blue or brown eyes.
    Patience is your best bet.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My 3 year old is fully potty trained. She is still in a diaper at night. I even have her potty before bed and still has a wet diaper. She is my only one that has worn diapers at this age at night. If not our bed would be wet. I am hoping she grows out of this soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• my daughter still wears them to bed too. but don't worry it will pass. be thankful that she is potty trained during the day. most preschools demand that the children be potty trained.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Have you tried just letting her wet the bed?? If you put plastic sheets down and let her wet the bed for a week or so she will train herself to get up and go. She might just be relying on the diaper cause she knows it is there
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 9:34 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My dd will be 3 in October and she's fully potty trained. She gets up at night to pee. Maybe 2 times a month, if that, she'll have an accident on the way to the potty or before waking up. We just put a zippered plastic mattress cover over her mattress, under her sheets, it was about 7 dollars at Walmart. When she has her rare accidents, it's really easy to just wipe down the plastic cover with some cleaning spray and change the sheets. You can try letting your little one go to sleep without a diaper and waking her right before you go to bed to let her potty and then seeing if she stays dry and gets up on her own when she needs to...you may be surprised!
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I agree, start restricting drinks about 2 hours before bed. Once you got that on a regular bases, then do what PP said:
    "You can try letting your little one go to sleep without a diaper and waking her right before you go to bed to let her potty"
    Make babysteps, but start working on it. She sounds like she could be relying on the diaper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Mine was four (already tying her shoes and reading) when she was finally out of diapers.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• All of my children wore diapers at night at this age....
    some children just outgrow the nighttime diaper later than others!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 12:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2009