is this happening to anyone else

ok, so i live in south central texas, and we have been in the triple digit temps latley. Anyways, it seems like my ac unit can't keep up and keep the house cool to the temperature it is set at during peak times of the day. Like if i have it set at 72 degees, about 3:oo the ac keeps running but the temperature in the house will get up to like 80 and the ac unit never stops running until late in the evening when the sun goes down and the temperature drops. I had the unit checked and the ac guy said no everything looks fine that it is just hot outside. I find it had to believe that that is just the way it is. i can't remember if other summers were like that or not. if i could i woudl just put a whole new unti in but i cant'.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Do you have good insulation?

Do you keep your blinds/drapes closed to keep the sun from heating up the house?

We haven't had triple digits yet, although the heat index reached 100 this week. We have kept all our window treatments closed until the sun is past those windows (ex. we'll open our east blinds in the afternoon). We're also fortunate to have a cool basement so we just turn our furnace blower fan on to help blow that through the house. Our A/C unit still ran most of the day.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I'm in south central Texas also, my a/c is doing the same thing. It is because of the heat outside and yes, all 39 summers I've spent in Texas are just like this one. We just forget how hot it was when it finally cools down in October or so. LOL Where in Texas are you?
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• When I lived in FL, our apartment a/c was like that. Our apartment had the crappiest insulation ever and our electric bill was always really high in the summer. If you have your own house, some electric companies will come out and do an inspection of your house and tell you where you're having heat/cooling losses. Often times the fixes are cheap and easy - stuff you can do yourself.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• We live in FL and it has been over 100 here too lately.... Your A/C can only cool your home about 20 degrees cooler than the temperature outdoors. That's why it won't get lower than 80 inside. Your A/C has to work extra hard on those really hot days and that is why it is running non-stop. Especially when you have the thermostat set at 72. The A/C is trying to get to 72, but it isn't going to happen, so it is just running and running and running. The best you can do on these days is to keep your blinds/curtains shut, keep the doors shut as much as possible and pray it rains so the air will cool off, lol. Go ahead and move your thermostat up to 80 so that you aren't stressing the system out any more than it already is going to be.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• We live in NE Ohio and although it doesn't get up to TX temps, some days in July and August it's pretty bad. Our house has window AC units, and when it wasn't pumping out enough cold air, I realized that the units were in the south and west windows and were getting hit by the sun pretty hard. I moved the units to the nothern (shady) side of the house and they work much better now.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:40 AM on Jun. 27, 2009