Lazy Girl

Hello all, I have a 13year old dd and she is my oldest and I am having a hard time to get her up and going. It is the summer time and she always says that she is bored and she never has anything to do, but she won't do anything.... She stays stuck in her room all day, I have to tell her to get up and clean up, take a shower, brush her teeth, go eat ect...She will sit in her room and just watch tv and read books...all day. I am fine with her reading books, but she will read a book at the dinner table, I told her that is rude and she shouldn't do that and she was like it is boring...we are eating dinner. We do not have a real connection or a friendly relationship...I talk to her but I get these one word answers... she say she has friends at school, but I never known her to interact with any of them....What can I do? She is very lazy and she just keeps to herself. Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Her behavior is quite normal .. let her be herself and let her know the lines of communications are open if she needs to talk...some of the advice I received helped me deal with my daughter's situation like setting up sleepovers or joining a club to broaden her network of friends.
    pierresmom

Answer by pierresmom at 11:04 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I think is is normal to. My son 15 is the same way, stays in his room... I have to tell him to get up, take a shower... I think this will pass. I let him be himself, with the exception he must do his chores or no, computer, tv, cell phone...
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 2:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Think of it like this. She could be out causing trouble, getting into things, making you worry. Be grateful! :)

I was kinda like that. I was just really shy. Books were my comfort zone. There was no one to please, they were a different world. A great place to hide, or escape to. On the off side she might be depressed. But for me, I was just quiet and shy.

Give her guidelines, but please be patient with her. This may be just her personality. There is not much you can do about it. She'll come out of her shell someday.

mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• How is this a problem?

She's probably pretty introverted and prefers spending quiet time by herself instead of being out and doing activities all the time. Nothing wrong with reading all day.

If you want to get her to open up, maybe try reading a book together and discussing it.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I have a 13 year old daughter, too. She had a week of high school orientation; she will be volunteering at a day camp for four weeks; she will be at overnight camp for four weeks; she is a Red Cross certified baby sitter, and has four families she babysits for on a regular basis. I would never allow a child to just lay around the house.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I have a 16 yr old that is still like that! get used to it it lasts awhile
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2009