Will a Catholic please answer this question about guilt and good works?

There are many charities and organizations around my town funded by the Catholic Church. Reading a question from yesterday I would like to know if Catholics do these good works because they want to help or if it is a way to relieve your own guilt. If you are just trying to make yourself feel better about your sins are you really doing a good deed?

I really want a Catholic POV here, please keep the anti catholic comments to a minimum.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As Catholics we are called to sacrificial love, we are to care for others - the poor, the sick, the improsoned, the elderly, etc. This is not done out of guilt, it is done because that is what Jesus commanded us to do.

When we feel guilty we go to confession.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 12:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• As I think about it, even the Catholic schools hand out scholarships left and right to anyone in the area even if they are not Catholic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• from what ive gathered from the discussion with the question i posted.....catholics do it as a way of doinga good deed and i personaly get the feeling its about spreading gods love and not so mucha bout being guity.

but the non catholics seem tot hink it is about that
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• You're right moki.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• wooow someone agree's with me and isnt hating. thats unusual on here rofl JK.

moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• As others have said - Jesus taught that we shold care for others and so that's why we do it.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2009