Epilepsy & Pregnant

I was considered to be "grown out" of epilepsy until I was pregnant with my first daughter. I had a few problems and had to be put on Lamictal. (Which they said was safe) She has been pretty healthy. Last winter I couldn't get my pills because they are expensive and my case worker didn't put in some paperwork when I changed adress and jobs. I had horrible withdrawls for over a month and couldn't do anything. I took 3 preg. tests between Thanksgiving and New Years that came back neg. Went to get a blood test thinking it was the withdrawls and found out I'm pregnant. Now, I just went in for a 30wk checkup and had a seizure while there. My doctor wasn't even there and the nurses just expected me to drive home after with my 3yr old in the car. I'm back on my pills. Everybody told me I had to be on Lamictal because it's worse for the baby if I have a siezure and now they don't seem worried. So, how is this affecting my baby?

tcarter1981

Asked by tcarter1981 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Health

• Mamma....be calm, I have been there....four times. Four healthy beautiful children later. The things is this...yes, there can be side effects from any medications such as these for the unborn. Talk these over with your doctor specifically for Lamactil. My meds are different, a combination of Depakote and Levetiracetam at this time, although when pregnant I was taking Tegretol. The danger of not taking the meds while pregnant and risking a seziure are many. You could fall during a seizure and injure the baby in that fashion. Also, every time you have a seizure your baby does not receive oxygen (as you do not either) for the duration of that seizure. That's a very real danger. Schedule an appointment with your doctor to discuss these issues and do not leave until you have had every last question answered to your satisfaction. Bless you Mamma....it's not easy, but I promise you healthy babies are very very possible.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 11:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Thank you for the answers. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. It didn't seem like the nurses and docs were answering my questions and that's never wracking since I'm high risk. I don't know anyone else in my area with epilepsy. I've also only gained 8 lbs and since my last visit a month ago I've lost a pound. I get to start seeing him every 2wks though, so that makes me feel better too. I've lost 3 babies in the first trimester before, so I just get nervous. Then, I look at my beautiful daughter and she gives me more hope so I'm not stressing anymore. Once again, I appreciate it.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2009