I have one simple request...

Can anyone just bring the facts to the table without also bringing to the table a personal agenda? Can anyone use valid resources instead of their own bias opinions in a political debate? Can anyone quit the mud slinging when it comes to which party is more to blame for our current situation b/c EVERYONE is to blame and that goes for "we the people" as well? Can we not reduce ourselves and others to political, racial, gender and religious stereotypes? When that happens, whether you realize it or not, it takes away from the validity of your argument. So I request that we use facts and resources instead of opinions based on what the stereotype of the situation portrays. Is that to much to expect from intelligent, adult women?

blakebrm

Asked by blakebrm at 11:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think a lot of people know the facts or even both sides of the story. Some ladies come into arguments just to make it bigger. Before entering a debate I try to research my argument so I have something to back me up.
    You can't necessarily go by what you just heard on the news, or saw in the newspaper because that is their opinion of what has happened. You need to try to see the whole picture instead of just looking at the pretty flower in the middle.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 11:53 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• A relative knowledge of economics and history is required for that. So it is obviously to much to ask of some.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I certainly DO try.....but I'm only human!!! LOL

wink

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:23 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• LOL, LoriKeet. I am not saying that opinions do not fall into play b/c we are passionate in our beliefs but sometimes the cries of "isms" just throw a huge monkey wrench into the system. Talk about not knowing what you will be called, I am Liberal but I also like Steele, so does that make me bi? LOL, and that was true on the part of liking Steele but the "bi" was for bipartisan. Some times I feel as if one has to clarify everything.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 11:28 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Hey, if our elected officials won't do that, why should we??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I would agree that everyone is to blame.

I also think that opinions are going to come in all levels of intelligence, and you've got to take the good with the bad.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Welcome to the world of politics.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• However, if we don't have all the opinions then how do we learn to understand each other better? I may not agree with someone's opinion, but I can learn from them in some way. If we stick to what we see as only the facts then we may not get the passion that comes with truly believing in something. Without that passion I may not come to understand why a person believes the things they do.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I agree. It would be nice if some people would engage in debate, rather than saying "you ------ are a bunch of idiots". I don't follow party lines in my belief of what is right and what is wrong.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Yes, is that all you wanted to know? I wonder the same thing. Ususlly, (every now and again I get a wild hair) when I ask a question it is for a reason not to stir up drama. I find certain groups are worse than others.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 26, 2009