Advice for dealing with a 7 year old...

My youngest sister is coming to visit me(alone) for the summer from CT to PR. I haven't seen her since she was 4 and honestly don't know what kind of stuff to do with her. I have some stuff planned, like the beach, the zoo, a museum, and ice skating, but I don't know what to do with her while she's at home. Any advice on games I should get, or stuff to do to keep her occupied?? I also have to bring her to work with me and she'll have to stay in an office...any things that she can do quietly while there?? Please help...I only have 5 days left before she gets here!!
Also, according to mom, she is VERY picky...any tips on how to kind of trick her into eating stuff?? I mean the only veggie she eats is corn and and the only meats are steak and chicken but they have to be cooked a certain way...

jazi1105

Asked by jazi1105 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is 6.5. She likes to draw and color. She likes to read. She likes to play cards. She likes to play her Nintendo DS and listen to music. She loves to play outside. Go to the movies......
    She loves to help me with whatever I am doing........
    CrazedMomof2

Answer by CrazedMomof2 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My dd is 7. She likes to play cards (rummy), we play sorry it is fun for adults too. In the office she can make crafts. My dd loves to make cards. Or look for a craft set to make pot holders or something. Most kids like to swim or go on nature hikes. We walk anywhere (to get a snow cone) and take a sac with usto throw in acorns and stuff then she can glue it onto construction paper and make a collage the next day at work. Some kids like to jump rope,,she will want to do all these things with you so be ready to play! As far as eating, biscuit pizzas are fun to make and she can put on the toppings she likes. She may eat hotdogs and mac and cheese, spagetti? you could rent a movie and do nails at home..most 7 yr olds like to do beauty treatments.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• She may do better at eating at your house than she does at home. If she starts to give you a hard time tell her that for every 2 meals that she eats that you prepared your way, you will let her choose a meal and prepare it her way. Also for activities, wait and see what she would like to do beyond the planned activities that you have. She realizes that she is not at home and you won't have all the stuff that she is comfortable with. She will probably be perfectly happy with a coloring book and crayons to use in the time that she doesn't have something to occupy her.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My neice is 7 and right now she is doing a reading challenge for her school. She is supposed to read 3 books over the summer. She also likes sidewalk chalk and helping in the kitchen. She loves making popsickles. As for eating, try getting her to help you make whatever you are going to eat. Being involved might make her more interested in what she is going to eat.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 5:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2009