Victory for Iraq Day: June 30

"Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki has taken to calling the withdrawal of American combat troops from Iraq’s cities by next Tuesday a “great victory,” a repulsion of foreign occupiers he compares to the rebellion against British troops in 1920."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/26/world/middleeast/26maliki.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&src=ig

I know it's asking a lot, but please read the whole thing before spouting off. Is this going to work? Every place we pull out of, a lot of people die. Twenty years from now who is going to be blamed for those deaths - cocky prime minister or Obama? Not just here, but in Iraq.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I feel as if this is a lose-lose, NP.. We're damned if we do, damned if we dont.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I really don't know what to think. My guess is that it's a lose-lose situation as BEXi said. No matter what happens the US will be the bad guy, both now and in twenty years. If we don't go along with the demands of the prime minister then we will look like the big bad invaders who want to control everything. But in 20 years the blame for all the deaths that are going to occur because of the arrogance of one prime minister will be placed on the US instead.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I don't know. It's their country and they ultimately have to take responsibility for it. We can't babysit them forever. I think this was bound to happen, no matter when we left. Whether it be now or 20 years from now.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I swear I am about ready to say call ALL the troops home from EVERY country we are in for whatever reason! I am SO tired of America being the bad guy when MOST of the time we have saved THEIR @sses! The aid alone that we sand out via our soldiers to struggling countries and the order we keep! Lets close in our dang borders, put our soldiers around the country to protect our borders and let all the little countries who are calling us evil while they take our money and protection IMPLODE!

Anonymous

• As I have said since the war started, once we leave, they will just go back to doing what they have done for centuries: killing each other. Us being there has been like a band aid over a wound. It is NOT our country, and enough is enough. We have so many problems here yet over the past 7 years we have been so focused on fighting an ideology. That's a losing battle. 

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 12:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• ,” a repulsion of foreign occupiers

This is true. and we should get out. We need our soldiers for Afghanastan and possibly N. Korea...If you are so worried about Iraq can I just tell you that Libya, Iran and N. Korea and all WAY further in their weapons developement and procurment of materials for nukes?? Exactly we should NOT be in Iraq

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• This is true. and we should get out. We need our soldiers for Afghanastan and possibly N. Korea...If you are so worried about Iraq can I just tell you that Libya, Iran and N. Korea and all WAY further in their weapons developement and procurment of materials for nukes?? Exactly we should NOT be in Iraq

Thank you for not reading the article or answering my question.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Thanks for the clicky link ;D!

If it works, miliki will take credit. If it doesn't they will blame us, and so will the rest of the world. We've already told them everything is our fault.

I agree that if they don't want us, our might and money could be put to better use elsewhere.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I agree that if they don't want us, our might and money could be put to better use elsewhere.

_______

Exactly.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 1:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2009