it's not "cool" to be religious

have you noticed lately it seems your weird and not cool if your religious. example, back in high school teens would pray around the flag pole before school, i jioned them soemtimes....and everyone in taht group, got made fun of and called jesus freaks etc. another high school i went to, we had a large group of middle eastern people and they got harassed bad for their religion...a friend of mine growing up read her bible every night. at band camp when the other kids found out they made fun of her and said she was stupid. (too add, none of the kids i knew backed down from their religious beliefs cause of this.good for them)
do your kids go thru this stuff? atheist, catholic or jewish w/e i think its terribly wrong to made fun of people for this and kids can be just plain mean.

have your kids ever been bullied or made fun of for their religious views or actions?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I went to Catholic school most of my childhood, so there was no making fun or religious people!

I did notice when I attended Public School that the really religious people all hung around together, but I never noticed anyone saying mean things to them.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I was bullied at my Catholic school because I wasn't baptized. Fun times.
    But in high school you were still uncool if you actually got into religion. And that was at a Catholic high school. The ones that volunteered for all the extra religious stuff (to plan and participate in liturgies, go on retreats, that wanted to go to church every Sunday, etc were thought to be a little odd and brain washed).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Well, yeah. We were told that we would be persecuted. That's just part of it, I guess. The ones that make fun just don't understand, or they're jealous, or they don't get that someone can be different... don't know why!
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 11:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I grew up in S. Florida and that was how it was there. I was the only one of my friends who ever went to church. One yr we had a set of twins move down from TN who were Baptist and they were the nicest people, but they got made fun of all the time for always inviting people to church and going to church. Then I moved to Alabama and it is totally different here. Here it was almost considered weird if you did not bring your bible to school, and attend church on Sundays and Wednesday nights. :)

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• -- It's not about being COOL .. It's about doing the right thing. Doing the things you believe in and not being scare of not being cool. So most of the world is wrong , But you know the trueth and will follow it . even if it's not cool. It takes a bigger person to go against the group, than to be a follower just to be cool. What's cool today will be made fun of tomorrow by the same group of people.
    -- Cool today un-cool the next ... Just do what's right and you won't go wrong !
    G-Ma62

Answer by G-Ma62 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• ultimately i think it shines greatly for the fact the kids did not stop praying at the pole...or reading their bibles at night...or wearing their headwear (i do not know what it is called for the middle eastern people at my high school)
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I grew up in NC, and it was waaaay more UNcool to be agnostic, atheist, or anything not Christian. At least it was like that in my high school and my family, I can't say anything about any other town in my state. There was FCA and many other Christian groups in my high school. They were the "cool" kids. I was a Christian at that time, of course, so at the time it didn't bother me. But now it really does. I feel that FCA and other Christian-based high school groups PROMOTE discrimination against other religions. Where was FMA? Or FJA? or FA/AA? or FPA? They didn't exist, and they never will, because it's politically correct to be a Christian in the USA. It's when you're NOT religious that you get singled out.

But people can believe what they will. I'm only speaking from my own experience.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My ATHEIST son is harassed on an almost daily basis by the religious kids at his school. They walk up to him and ask him if he believes in God and when he says 'no' they tell him 'you know you're going to hell?'. They flood him with pamphlets from their church...they turn his science class discussion of evolution into Sunday school class and his social studies discussion of current events and politics into a rumor mill about Obama being a Muslim. I have had to go to the principal on at least 3 different occassions to complain about this harassment. He has had friends drop him and just this last month his girlfriend broke up with him when he refused to become a Christian for her. Spare me the whole 'persecuted Christian' crap...you can't be persecuted if you're the majority...and you are the majority.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 12:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My kids are too cool for Bible school.
    They go to science and nature camps.
    I think the bible is limited in scope and based on past astronomoical calenders that represented light and dark.
    There is just so much more out there...
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 12:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I think it was more "uncool" at that time because of hormones.. however keeping your virginity is the new in now..

as g-ma said.. what's cool today is out tomorrow.

my school was never like that though.. we were a small school. but never got into religion much with anyone... everyone was a mix of this or that.. it was the jocks picking on the handicap that always pissed me off. But there wasn't a lot of different social classes in my school, everyone sort of meshed.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2009