11 month old laughs when told no

my son laughs at me when i tell him no, he understands what i am saying and will look at me and laugh and then continue whatever it was he was doing that he wasn't supposed to be doing. I don't tell him no all of the time either. I pic and choose my battles. Any recomendations? I have been putting him in time out in his crib for 2 or 3 minutes.... I just don't want him to think it's okay, but on the other hand he is only 11 months old.

thenewmum

Asked by thenewmum at 11:28 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have this problem yet (mine's younger), but I've heard people say instead of saying "no," explain the right way to do it. Instead of "No, don't pull the dog's tail," say "We pet the dog nicely on his head and back." Don't know if it works, but it's worth a shot.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 11:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• When my kids were that young popped their hands while I told them no when they were messing with things they weren't supposed to. "Redirection" didn't work for us and it didn't take long for them to learn that when I told them no, I meant it. That worked for me, if you don't want to do it thats your choice. AND BASHERS DON'T BOTHER WASTING YOUR TIME SENDING HATE MAIL OR TELLING ME I'M ABUSING MY KIDS. My kids are well behaved and respectful.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:46 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My DD did the same thing. I read somewhere that by saying things such as "No dont pick that up" ur actually suggesting the thought of picking that item up so u could say "Why dont we just leave it right there". I do/did this w/ my DD & it seems to work (until we hit 18 mo & started to just not listen period!) but it worked for a while. I also put my DD in her playpen for time out which also worked very well.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• don't use his bed or room for time outs; this should be his refuge, not his prison.

we did "baby timeout" starting at around 9 months. we would hold her immobilized in our lap and count backward from 20.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2009