Ok- Lets talk sanely about Cap and Trade

Since this is the next thing congress will vote on I want your opinions. I think a lot of people don't even understand it so please either ask if you want to know or move on. I know there are some people out there who want this plan by Obama so lets have a sane conversation as to why you want it and think it will do what they want it to. No bashing, if you feel the urge coming on don't answer. If you have an opinion either way I want to hear it.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't understand it.
    Anonymous

• My opinion: bad idea. Everyone pays utilities, so everyone's costs will go up. The poor, who pay a larger percentage of their income for utilities, will be hurt the worst.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• In an effort to curb global warming, the House is considering legislation that calls for:

Reducing greenhouse gases by 17 percent from 2005 levels by 2020 and 83 percent by 2050 through a cap-and-trade program that allows pollution permits to be bought and sold.

_ Limiting emissions from major industrial sources, including power plants, factories, refineries and electricity and natural gas distributors. Emissions from agriculture would be excluded from the cap.

_ Controlling carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels and limiting six other greenhouse gases.

_ Allowing companies to meet emission-limiting targets by investing in offset projects such as tree planting and forest protection.

_ Requiring electric utilities to produce at least 12 percent of their power from renewable sources such wind and solar energy by 2020, and requiring as much as 8 percent in energy efficiency savings.

_ Imposing tighte
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I like my cap, I don't want to trade. Seriously, I am like the prev. anon. I have no idea what it is about.
    Anonymous

• Its really nothing more than a huge tax that will hurt what little industry we do have left, likely to the point of shutting down or leaving the US. the increase on our utility bills will be devestating to alot of people. The costof many products will go up as the companies try to compensate for their incresed costs of operation. Its going to do great harm to our economy.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• While I can really appreciate the desire to help the environment, it won't do a damn bit of good if people can't afford to pay their electric bills. I've seen several interviews with company heads that say by instituting this, they will have to raise prices on their customers.

On the up side, maybe it will teach people to use electricity/utilities more responsibily.

Washington, want to make some money? Get rid of stupid, wasteful programs.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 12:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I am NOT for this. No one has the money right now to support this. The companies will be heavily taxed nd pass that on to us. From what I have been reading power bills will almost double as the costs get passed on to us. I am truly not understanding why now, when the country as a whole is SO broke and struggling, the dems are trying to push through programs that are going cost SO much. Can we at least get our feet first before this andother programs that are going to raise costs so much are even suggested? You can't tax money that isn't there, and as more people fail and more companies fail and more rich people bring their income below the tax limit, there will be no money to get from taxes!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• First, while this is not a tax per say it is going to cause companies, large and small to have to spend huge amounts of money therfore passing the costs down to consumers. Call it what you want it will cause Americans to have a larger financial layout in an already bad economy. Most people do not have a problem with being environmentaly kind to the earth and have no problems with finding other ways to fuel our casrs, heat and cool our homes and keep our waterways clean and safe. All of the above items I posted are not bad things. The fact is that we don't need to have the auctions for credits which will be what raises OUR bills. I heard someone from a business (ill hunt for a link) that says many companies can do most of those things easily and buying credits has nothing to do with it. All that is is a tax on Businesses that they have to pass on.
    This is not just for electric companies. Carbon Dioxide, mercury,
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 12:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• The cap:
    A company, will have a limit on the amount of greenhouse gas that it can emit. The firm must have an “emissions permit” for every ton of carbon dioxide it releases into the atmosphere. These permits set an enforceable limit, or cap, on the amount of greenhouse gas pollution that the company is allowed to emit. Over time, the limits become stricter, allowing less and less pollution, until the ultimate reduction goal is met. .

I see new rules and regs that need to be made but I see no need to do it by buying credits. Of course the government makes money but we pay the cost.

The trade:
    It will be relatively cheaper or easier for some companies to reduce their emissions below their required limit than others. These more efficient companies, who emit less than their allowance, can sell their extra permits to companies that need them.

Why? We don't need to make it into a game benefiting the government.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2009