Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does this make me a bad person?

I am getting back together with my ex and we are getting married. Problem is I'm pregnant with another man's baby. THis man is a completely unfit father, is abusive and I want him to have no rights in my daughters' life.
Would it be wrong to have my fiance sign the paternity affidaviat saying the child is his?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I say that is smart, you gotta do what you feel is right for you and your baby.

    Answer by gottalovemal at 12:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • I have known people to do it but if the other guy fights your hubby signing it won't stop him from seeing his kid...

    Answer by heather.darin at 12:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • i dont think its wrong, its probly smart, but if he knows its his he might order a paternity test. and if its his it wont stop him from seeing the child. maybe talk to a lawer about it. or get a protection from abuse order or a restraining order against him for you and your child. thats really all you can do.

    Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • It doesn't make you a bad person to want to protect your unborn child. However, it wouldn't be right (IMO) to not tell the father that he IS the father. He has the right to know.

    Answer by MamaJen74 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • In some states if a man signs then the courts look at him as the father no matter what it depends on where you live. Look into the laws in your state regarding child support and parental rights.

    Answer by Alie1313 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • Like the other ladies have already said, if he knows the baby is his it doesn't matter who signs the birth certificate if he wants a paternity test and it comes back as his. At that point he would have rights to the child whether you wanted him to or not.

    Your best bet would be to convince the father to sign over parental rights to you and have your soon-to-be-hubby adopt the child upon birth.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • Think 20 years down the road when something happens and your daughter needs surgery or something and finds out by accident she can't possibly be his is SHE going to feel. Get the bio/POS to relenquish parental rights and then have EX/STBH adopt her. JMO.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2009