terrible twos at twelve months?

My dd screams and yells and shrieks a lot. if she is told no she has a total meltdown, or throws a scraming fit. if she doesn't want to do something she will start scraming. and just randomly throughout the day, she screams for no apparent reason. i talk to her, try to calm her down, tell her to use he indoor voice, tell her that we don't need to be loud, and i have even tapped her gently on the mouth with 2 fingers to reinforce what i am saying. she will not stop screaming. it's so frustrationg . she has also started doing things that we tell her is a no-no, she used to stop and be easily redirected with just a simple "no no sweetie, we dont need to play with that, let's do this instead". now, she will look right at me, smile and keep on doing it. if she has something she is not supposed to have and i tell her to give it to mama, she will throw a fit, hold onto it for dear life, try to eat or hide it.. any advice?

raineslibramom

Asked by raineslibramom at 12:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• did anyone else have this happen? how did y ou handle it? what worked for you? i'm outta ideas. about to lose my mind.
    raineslibramom

Answer by raineslibramom at 12:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• yes, I have a 12 month old too... and he's a determined little guy. I notice though he acts up more when he's tired.I redirect him, and if that doesn't work I take him to a quiet place and see if he wants to nurse... usually he'll fall asleep. Also you can even start giving choices or preparing them for what needs to be done. At this age they are learning to be independant a little more andso it can be frustrating to them to always be told what to do and when. If they scrwam and throw a fit usually its ok to let them just do that (especially is redirectiion isn't working) and wait until they are done to move forward with whatever needs to happen. And one more thing... try teaching sign language, they learn how to sign faster than using their words and so they will be able to communicate better and you'll have less meltdowns. I hope this helps.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I just got through this, only it was hitting, not screaming. But he did throw a mean tantrum. I found it was basic frustration of not being able to communicate.

We taught sign language and we explained things a lot. I prepared him... if he really wants to play at the park, I will say, "OK... we have two minutes left and then we go to the car." I have a 5 year old so this is always something we do. Way less fits than if I just said, "ok lets go."

I found he was hungry sometimes, tired. So just recognizing the schedule was key and gave me patience.

It sound from your post (and I don't mean to be harsh) that you're saying no a lot. Try to figure out what you're saying no to and be pre-emptive. I found I had to really think 5 steps ahead and things got better. Make sure the house is toddler-ready.

If she's about to walk into something she shouldn't (like off a step). Don't say no. Just sweep her up and
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• say, "oh you silly girl! Stairs are dangerous! Let mommy help you!" and big tickles...

Hope that helps!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2009