Is Michael Jackson's death being overhyped?

Sure it's sad that he died young and all, and yes he was an amazing talent and great entertainer. But really Michael Jackson was a total has been. I was 11 years old when Thriller came out, so I am of the age group that should be among his biggest fans - but he hasn't done anything very big since then. Even "Bad" which came out in '87 wasn't that popular. It's not like when Kurt Cobain died at the height of his popularity. Do you think that many people really feel such a big loss about it, or is the media overplaying it, like they do with everything else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Entertainment

• Total overplay. Yes, it's sad that anyone dies at a young age...especially with young children. But still...
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I don't find it 'overhyped'. The man IS, in fact, dead. Are they having a media frenzy? Of course thats what the media does best. Now if he were missing and suspected dead...then it would be overhyped.
    Anonymous

• Yup. The media has spent the last 10 years pretty much bashing the guy and now all of a sudden they're all in mourning. I
    Anonymous

• Yup I sure do believe its overhyped
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I miss the Jackson 5
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 12:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• No. He was a huge star. I remember when Elvis died and people were weeping and falling on the ground at Graceland. The controversy over his death. It was on the news for days. This is very similar. In a scary way now that I think about it.

asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 12:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Extremely overhyped. It's like when Anna Nicole Smith died except Michael Jackson was an icon. There are other things going on in the world..
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Nope. He did so much for the music industry and brought hope to so many. He deserves all the love that's being poured into his legacy.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 12:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My thoughts

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1489133/Micheal_Jackson_and_the_debate_continues_on_after_his_death
    babymomma0306

Answer by babymomma0306 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Not at all. Sorry, no matter how many people dislike him he is a legend. I agree Jenetty he deserves all the love he is getting.
    sweetbamabrown

Answer by sweetbamabrown at 2:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2009