Refusing to go to bed?

My 20 month old has decided she no longer wants to go to bed at night. The last two nights she has screamed at the TOP her lungs in her bed. She has never given me a hard time for bedtime, this is not like her. I tried letting her cry it out, and she got so worked up she puked. Lastnite I tried going in and consoling her, leaving for a while, coming back in and consoling her, but that made it worse. Leaving the room without her made it worse. I dont know what else to try and I can not do this again. I cried myself to sleep lasnite because I just dont know what to do? Anyone with help is appreciated! We do have a bedtime routine that we have been set in for a while, we havent changed it at all!

JNBBtracy

Asked by JNBBtracy at 12:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• make sure nothing is wrong with her first. Could she have an ear infection? Could she be teething? etc. Then stick to your normal bed time routine. This could be a phase or she may just be testing her limits. If CIO works for you then try doing it. I finally did it with my 2 1/2 year old. I went to check on her at 5 minutes (didn't pick her up just calmed her down, kissed her, and told her it was time for night night.) Then I would wait 10, 15, etc until she went to sleep.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• This is one post I will be returning to to see the answers given! I have an 18 month old that has done the EXACT same thing for the last week or so. I have tried everything I could think of too and nothing has worked, she hardly gets any sleep anymore.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Well Love2Mommy77, we tried again lastnight. I tried the consoling method, where you go in after 20 mins and DO NOT pick them up. Just lay them back down and comfort them and leave again. I went in about 4 times in the two hour period. She did do better and no getting so worked up that she puked this time. My Dr. did tell me though, that she is trying to throw up on purpose because she knows I will come in her room then. So she told me to ignore her and DO NOT go in, even if she throws up. They are crying and stuff because they know we will come in. I wanted to try one more night of the comforting, tonight I will try the cry it out and see which one works the best. Thought I would add my post since we arent getting much help here!
    JNBBtracy

Answer by JNBBtracy at 10:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I hope you find a solution. I just cant bring myself to let her CIO. But thats just me. I am going to do what my mom said....wait it out and be patient, its just a phase.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2009