How do you stop a dogs diarrhea ?

My dog has had diarrhea for the last week. I have changed his food from Nutro to Innova Evo. My other dog has not had a problem. She has adjusted fine. Has anyone had this problem before? I have a vet appointment today at 5:30 but was just wondering if this has happened to anyone before and what they did? I have changed his food before with no problem.

Luckylady32807

Asked by Luckylady32807 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Pets

• Did you gradually change it? Mix in small portions every feeding until the new food was the only one? Dogs systems are sensitive and just changing food can really affect their digestive system.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• im not kidding when i say pepto bismuth. about a tablespoon
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 12:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• when our dogs have it we only give them water for 24 hours and then gradually start them on food again...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Mixing it in gradually is the way to go with food changes.

Try putting a dollop of plain, natural yogurt on top of his food to get his digestive tract back in order.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Stop feeding him for 24 hours. Also get some acidopholis pill and either "pill em" or break open the caspule and put it on his food when you resume feeding him again.
    Anonymous

• When my dog had diarrhea, the vet said to give him hamburger and rice. I boiled the ground beef so it wouldn't be all greasy and then mixed it with steamed rice. He was better almost instantly.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I agree with the hamburger and rice!! I do it for myself too but use boiled turkey burger! : )
    Indianamom37

Answer by Indianamom37 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I agree on the switching over very gradually, as others have said. Going from a lower quality food to a higher quality grain free food can be hard on some dogs. Are you paying close attention to the feeding amounts? I have had friends have this issue with grain free foods because they were overfeeding, thinking they needed to feed as much as they did when their dog was on the poorer quality foods. You feed a lot less than foods that are loaded with grains and other nasty fillers. Yogurt, like already suggested is good as well. I give one spoonful per day of low fat plain yogurt.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Probiotics . Either break the capsules open , or pill them.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 12:02 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• At my work, we give imodium or pepto and only give water for 24 hours. If it continues, we will medicate again but feed them a special ID food we pay a lot of money for. As the stool gets better, we switch the food to Lamb and Rice
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 27, 2009