Caught 7.5 yr old masturbating. Is this normal for this age?

We have a hottub and last night the door was closed, which she knows I don't allow, and when I went to check on her she was masturbating. Is this the normal age to start that? How do I talk to her about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well I suppose you mean masturbating as just touching herself? It is normal at that age to not understand that area of your body. It is normal for children to be curious of what is down there. Perhaps getting an age appropriate book explaining her body would curb the curiosity.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• she is just learning that she is sensitive down there. It feels weird, & they aren't sure why. So, they might play around down there. I one time caught my daughter in the shower w/ her legs spread open & making it so the water was hitting her vagina. I was just checking to see if she had washed her hair yet, & there she was. She just said "look mommy, this feels weird" It was totally innocent, she was just learning about how her body functions. My Dr. said it is TOTALLY normal, & some kids start that curiosity as young as 3 years old. He said to encourage her NOT to touch it down there w/ dirty hands though. He said he has seen young girls get infections down there, & the mother freaks out thinking she got molested, when in reality....the girl was just touching herself w/ nasty kid hands. So, i told her to never touch her privates if her hands are not washed, i told her it can make it hurt real bad down there.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• That is normal, and very age appropriate. You shouldn't make a big deal out of it and act like you didn't see it. She had the door closed, which makes it private. You are going to have to let her have "private" time. She is growing up. This is not a sexual thing she is doing, just natural exploration.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 4:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2009