interesting reading on the view of tats with the bible and other forms of body art

http://www.sacredink.net/tattoo_and_the_bible/

it pretty much explains what the bible was talking about in terms of tattoo's and markings, and how when the whole passage is read it is describing religious ceremonies of a neighboring area that marked their dead and used their markings as religious marks to another god. thus it is falling under the heading of religous marks on your body...but not artwork. so yes, i realize what leviticus says, but it is talking about the neighboring area that used tats as religous ceremony..

also if you do think tats are sinful...
"However, only nine verses earlier in the same chapter (Leviticus 19:19) the people of Israel were also commanded to avoid mixing fibers in garments:

Nor shall a garment of mixed linen and wool come upon you.

Therefore, if someone chose to consider a tattoo sinful, then they would have to toss all their cotton/polyester clothing too!"

thoughts?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• for my persoan opinion..i think what it comes down to is tattoo's that based upon another religion, tattoo's on the dead or over all worshipping another diety......are taboo since back in that time period, thats the only thing they were for and he was talking about the area neighboring.

but of course i know plenty of people will say no no no......to each their own.

but it goes without saying, if you are really against them and you follow the old testament literally without reading the whole passages and who they purtained to...you cant eat shell fish or pork, you cant wear mixed clothing, you cant wear glasses or get your teeth fixed, you cant fix a hangnail, you cant cut your beard.

just an example of how society picks and chooses. and i think its more about realizing why they were written at that time period...who they related to and why and your own heart
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• i agree the scripture often used regarding tats/ body art/ ink etc.. is taken out of context.

I've had several ppl come to me with that scripture and I just tell them they need to go change their clothes.. I will also ask them what did they eat lately and it usually includes pork, shellfish etc.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• honestly if you read the entire passage and not that one sentence...you realize the situation it is describing and it is NOT body art..it is body markings associated with another religion.

if i say "im going to kill any man who comes into my house if he is going to hurt my child" thats not bad..but if you only read the "im gin got kill any man who comes into my house" two totally different thoughts really. you have to read the WHOLE passage to realize the situation and guidelines it was actaully talking about.

furthermore temples and church's are honored with artwork and decoration. so we are honoring our body temples with art
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• umm i said i agreed with you. i'm a tattooed Christian.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• i was not replying to you chica. just a general statement for the question and readers
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• ok...

: )
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2009