Is there any Christian denomination that requires prayers at a particular hour or time of the day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i heard muslins do and if they are not in that prayer room the religious police will cane them and force them to pray. no free will there. thats what i heard so don't take me literally although he was a soldier and they have to hide to avoid getting hit by them to so i take his word for it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• but melody77 - that's not a Christian denomination.

I've never heard of a Christian denomination that "requires" prayers at a specific time. I do know some churches will ask people to all pray at the same time but not as a requirement just more of unity and all coming together in agreement at the same time.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Well, most Catholic and Orthodox monasteries have "timed" prayers, and back in the day, those prayers were required by all. Matins, Vespers, etc . . . .

But Christianity is supposed to be a very personal faith, so if one person feels the need to follow a specific prayer schedule, yet another doesn't, what's the problem? Now, if you want to know the exact times, I'd have to look those up.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 2:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Catholics are NOT required to pray at a particular hour, time day, position way, with particular words ect...
    Anonymous

• There was a time when the Angelus was said every day at 6 -12 - 6. that's why the church bells ring at those times to remind people. Then the Devine Mercy Chaplet is to be said at 3:00. neither one of these are required but they can help.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• i wish people would stop saying what they heard.. and talk about what they know. Muslims do have specific prayer times.. and yes in other countries if they have a islamic state and they command that you have to pray.. it's prayer time.. they enforce it. Just like here they enforce that you wake up at 7am to move your car or face a hefty fine. You may not get clubbed but you get fined.. for Money.. not God.

However the question is about Christians..

My father was a catholic.. and i used to see pray at specific time intervals. I asked him about it once and he said that he had to pray at specified time periods for like an hour .. reading specific prayers and making rosaries.

My mom does to . (they ahve been separated for 38 years) so it's not because my father does it. for her, it's part of her Catholicism also.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• ok since you think that it part of Catholicism can you please name the doctrine or cannon law where she has to pray at certain times? for a certain amount of time?
    Anonymous

• by posting what you hear you leave it open for others to confirm or correct. Don't be so sensitive.
    Anonymous

• Well my father is the one who said that he prayed at specific times.. He died last december.. can't ask him. And my mom, says that's just the way she was taught.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 7:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• interesting you post what you hear from your parents(which is NOT a universal rule for catholics) but you get upset when someone post what they hear?
    Anonymous