How to transition from crib to toddler bed? Need advice!

My dd is 23 months old and still in a crib. Well, it finally happened and she managed to crawl over the rail and fall out. So, it's time for the toddler bed.

She is a GREAT sleeper. I put her in the crib with her doll and she goes right to sleep for naps and night time. How do I effectively move her into a toddler bed with out messing her routine up? I'm worried she will not stay in it.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter transitioned when she climbed out too around the same age as yours. We just put her in the toddler bed like we would have the crib and closed her door. She never got up. She is now 2 1/2 and sometimes gets up to fuss at her bedroom door (which is closed) but when I go and check on her later she got back in her bed and covered herself up.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My daughter was in a toddler bed at 15 months and to keep her in there, i close the door at night until she is asleep. She has no toys in her room so I know she will go to bed and before I go to bed I check on her and leave her door open. That way I figure she won't feel "trapped" in her room and can come see me when she's scared. It's been very effective and the first night she was in it, she fell out but never after that. She sleeps in her bed, i guess my SIL would be all over her room.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• She may not. So put her back, put her back, put her back, put her back...get it?

Now...on the other hand, she may stay just fine.

There is no change to her routine. You do the same routine, just put her in a new bed.

Take the crib down when you set up the new bed. (we went to a twin, not a toddler) If they see the crib, it's that much harder.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• my daughter was the same way she went to sleep right away when in her crib but when she was in a big bed it took her awhile to go to sleep, i put stuffed animals in with her, and give her a toy to play with after an hour or so she is fast asleep, and i put a gate up so i can still have her door open yet i know she won't get out. good luck
    mom24147

Answer by mom24147 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2009