Does Extended Rear Facing really make you a better parent when its not even the law or a requirement

I am sure studies will show in the future that this isnt the best for the child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, it doesn't.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 1:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Nope, not at all.
    Anonymous

• Anytime a parent makes the best choice for their child they are proving that they are a better parent. Let's face it, not all parents are equally as good, just like not all spouses, employees, friends, lawyers, doctors or w/e can be the "best".
    Anonymous

• whos to decide what the "best" is ?
    Anonymous

• Some parents don't need a law in place to make good choices for thier kids.
    Anonymous

• while I did not extend rear facing for my typical children, I did for my special needs child.

I do not believe the "laws" have anything to do with what is considered good parenting. Some common sense parenting issues do not have laws governing them, yet they are still good ideas to practice.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Based on what I've seen and read, it's the best decision to extended rear face. I did with my first, but because it is less trouble to install a carseat forward facing, I didn't for very long with my 2nd.
    I don't think it makes one a better or worse parent, but I think it's a choice that people have to make for their own family.
    Like CIO or Vaccinating. People feel very very differently about those issues and they are handled very differently in different families. You do what works for you and what makes the most sense for your family.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 1:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• *chuckle* Considering other countries have had their children rear-facing until 4 or 5 for decades, and now other places are slowly raising their limits, your theory that it'll be proved "wrong" is well... wrong. Over time, rather than being proved "wrong", people are slowly getting on board because it's been proven to be BEST.
    Sorry!
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• No, I don't think it necessarily makes you a better parent. What makes you a GOOD parent (NOT a "bettER" parent) is doing what you can to keep your child safe, healthy and happy. It does no good to even put your child in a car seat if you drive around running red lights, drinking, etc. with your child in the car. Like everything, it's a big picture view that tells if you are a good parent. And I think it's hard to really say that one parent is better than other (in general), just different.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• No. I think it makes you look crazy. I agree RF should be extended to a certain extent, like to a year a half. But not past that. I have seen on here Mom's who ERF until their child is 3 or 4...that's ridiculous. Your child is so cramped in there...cars and car seat are not designed for that kind of thing. If you're really concerned, get one of those mini vans where the middle captains chairs can turn around.
    Anonymous