did you get pregnant while on BC?

disclaimer: i don't think i'm pregnant, and i'm not looking for a diagnosis. :) i'm just curious and hope you will share your experiences.

so i've been catching bits and pieces of the show "i didn't know i was pregnant." i know that several woman on this site have mentioned becoming pregnant while using birth control, and i've been wondering the following things:

how did you first come to suspect you were pregnant?

how far along were you when you suspected and then confirmed?

from the time of estimated conception to the time of confirmation, did you continue to have regular bc-induced periods?

were there any complications from using bc while you were pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had an IUD, the copper T and it was in for less than a year. My period was very irregular, but I usually knew what week to expect it. It was late, later than usual, and I had nausea and my sense of smell started kicking my ass. I took a test immediately and it came up positive, I went to the clinic to confirm it. I ended up having an abortion, they told me my gestation was just over 6 weeks, so no, I didn't have a period.
    If I had planned on continuing the pregnancy, there is sometimes a risk of miscarriage when taking out an IUD, but there are also risks of leaving it in, so there may have been complications.
    Anonymous

• 1- I did not have any symptoms at all...I had a miscarriage before my first child was born..I had just turned 21 and my friends had taken me out drinking, My DH and I had not been married a year yet and were just using condoms. I did not get drunk but I got pretty buzzed. A few weeks later I found out I was pregnant...I miscarried at 20 weeks. Then I had my son... I got preg. with my DD on birth control...
    So anyway, I was going to a friends house and she said she was going to be drinking and asked if I wanted to, well after what happened with my first preg. I took a pregnancy test just to make sure I wasn't preg. before I drank anything....not expecting it to be positive, but it was. That is how I found out I was pregnant.
    2- I went to the doctor the next morning and said I was 8 weeks along.
    3- I had 2 reg. periods before I found out.
    4-I had no complications. I stopped as soon as I found out. Emma was healthy..8lbs 3ozs.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 1:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Missed period.
    4 weeks.
    No.
    No.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 4:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• was on the depo shot, AND on the pill (dr's orders) to relieve my horrid cramping up when I had my periods (been on both for over 4years)

I didn't get regular periods, so I never knew the difference

I actually went to see my dr because I needed my regular Papsmear check up

and I kid you not - the dr's first words were "wow, your cervix is 'abnormably large'.."
    so he wanted a blood test to see what was goin on and IF i was pregnant (to just clear the air)

I was 6weeks & 1day.... (i know the exact day... the night my husband returned from Iraq)

& no I didn't have a period durring that time

& no there wasn't any major commplications except that I had to take multiple ultra sounds to "confirm the date by the size of the baby forming" (and the fact the dr wouldnt believe me... because the ultra sound would say I was further along then what i actually was)

KalieGirl

Answer by KalieGirl at 1:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• (cont) & it's hard to confirm the date when You are on birth control -because that messes up your cylce pattern & what could be one day may be another (so it throws off your due date)

but iam lucky in that sense, I know EXACTLY when this baby was conceieved
    KalieGirl

Answer by KalieGirl at 1:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• i was on seasonale... the bc pill that you only have 4 periods a year. i wasn't expecting a period any time soon, nor was i late. i just woke up in the middle of the night one night.... and was like, "i should take a test."
    took one the next morning, and sure enough... i was pregnant! i was 6 weeks along.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2009