How does CIO teach self-soothing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• becuase the child realizes that no one else is going to make them feel better so they find their own way, atleat thats what i think
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 1:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• How does leaving a child alone to figure out for themselves now to go back to sleep on their own teach them to soothe themselves? Gee, I don't know.
    Anonymous

• I have never managed to sooth myself by crying to sleep....only to pass out from sheer exhaustion.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• but they dont cry the whole time.. they play with the blankets or a animal or somethign, babble, until they are calmed and asleep
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• anon :10 again: IMO Cry it out should be used when the child is fighting or begging for attention and needs to learn to be OK alone -- away from mommy and daddy. Sometimes they jsut need to get the crying out of their system so they can calm down - alone especially if they are overly tired. Other wise, they will cry all the time just to get their way. My daughter is 2 and has cried it out for a while. Now, if she wakes up at night she fusses for a minute and is out again. She doesn't cry for hours until she just passes out. That's inhumane!
    Anonymous

• It doesn't. It teaches kids not to have faith in the people they should depend on.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I think the whole problem with CIO could be solved if you teach your kids to sleep in their own beds from they are born. They are able to put themselves to sleep while in the womb, so all the co-sleeping business is really just a bad habit to start...imo.
    My kids have always slept by themselves and I have never had any problems. It's less of a hassle with bedtime, and it makes them more independent, I believe. If you want to give you kids hugs and kisses, there is plenty of time during the day for that, so it's not like you are depriving them of that if you choose to have them sleep by themselves.
    Anonymous

• When my child wakes up during the night and is just talking we don't go in and try to put him back to sleep because usually he is having fun playing with his blanket but if it turns to whining or crying we go in and try to soothe him back to sleep.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 6:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

No! They DON'T put themselves to sleep in the womb! They have mommy rocking them to sleep 24/7. Humans are born with brains ONE QUARTER the size that they will be as an adult. That makes them THE MOST DEPENDENT MAMMAL on the planet. Why in the 'Verse would you put a poor, defenseless, traumatized baby in a room all by themselves? Yes, traumatized. Being born is the most traumatic thing you will ever go through. And you just throw you kid into a room alone. I don't get it. Keeping a kid in a separate room is a good way to RUIN the breastfeeding relationship. It also increases the risk of SIDS.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2009