Question for mom's who choose not to Vaccinate?

Okay, I just want real honest answers. I don't understand why you feel vaccinations aren't neccessary. How are you all going to feel when your child contracts one of those illnesses? What are you going to tell a 12 year old when they are trapped on a respirator or can't walk for the rest of their lives or has to go through painful treatments for months to walk because you chose not to vaccinate against polio. Or why the have to feel terrible when they contract measles or mumps? How will you console your adult child who didn't get the measles until he was an adult and is now sterile, and can't have a child? I am not trying to bash anyone for their decision, just trying to figure it out. I know parents who sterilize everything so baby won't catch a cold, but they also refuse to vaccinate. And if its the "autism link", I know that's devestating, but it doesn't kill, but some of those diseases do. So please explain.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Do your own research and make your own decisions. It is not black and white, or vax or don't vax.
    We choose to selectively vax on a delayed schedule. First vax after first birthday, one vax per office visit, single dose preservative free vaccines, read the insert before allowing the shot to be given.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I vaccinated but I think people who don't think that the risks of vaccinatedding outweigh the risk of disease. It's a very hard and personal decision. I personally felt disease outweighed the risks.
    Anonymous

• My kids react badly to vaccines, and they could quite likely kill them if not only leave them learning disabled for life. Them being severely LD is a guarantee if I vax them. The chance of the diseases are much more rare. I will not subject my kids to a life of living hell (my oldest is considered autistic due to his 4 month shots it was backed up by his doc). I am now pulling my oldest out of the public school due to the cruelty of other students, and hardness of teachers toward him. I would never subject another kid to that. He is 11 and has days he wishes he was dead. Want your kid to live with that?
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• (OP here)

Colleen, according to the CDC website, there are kids who do react badly, but they are a small precentage. I do understand your reasoning in this instance, but I wonder how you feel about so many other mothers whose children don't have that specific problem and don't vaccinate, putting your kids at an added risk for contracting those potentially deadly illnesses?

I should add, that both my DH, myself and my son, all had a bad reaction to the DTP shot. However, we still chose to vaccinate my DD, but they gave her four doses of the DTaP shot instead of three of the regular shots. I know that it could have caused my son's speech delays and LD abilities, but I still would do the exact same thing, if I had known.
    Anonymous

• I can understand vaccinating against certain illnesses...(polio, for example)but the fact is that many of these diseases are simply not prevalent anymore. My mom grew up getting measles, mumps, whooping cough, chicken pox...and she survived and did not sustain any permanent damages to her health.
    Some of these diseases (although rare to contract nowadays) yes, could possibly end a life...but what about quality of life? Isn't that important too? Kids are getting somewhere close to 30 vaccinations today when I got 8....it's simply not neccessary and all comes down to making someone rich, not making our kids safe. The overload of viruses and toxins that they are recieving is causing problems. 1 in 150 with autism today, when it used to be 2 in 10,000 in my childhood...something is going on here and it's time for parents to start fighting for the rights and saftey of thier children.
    And btw, the CDC is full of crap. Thanks.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 2:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Okay, that last argument is just ridiculous to me! Those diseases aren't prevelant because we were all vaccinated! You can prove it by death records before programs began and after. Look at the percentages world wide and see how many children die today in countries without good vaccine programs in place. The world is too small nowadays to think it couldn't come to you! Those diseases are still on almost every surface you touch. They are not eradicated and there are current outbreaks. As far as the CDC, I don't agree. There are also many more health organizations that back them up. So is it a world wide conspiracy? And while I do believe autism exists, I do not believe in the prevlance at which it is diagnosed. Some moms on here tried to tell me that they believe that my DS had Asperger's (no dr. or specialist ever has), well when you look it up, there aren't even specific symptoms, just generalities. How is that even real?
    Anonymous

• I also think your mom was lucky, and there were lots of kids who were. But there were also kids who weren't and what the crux of my question is, how will you feel if your child does contract one of those illnesses and does die from complications? How will you deal with that, what will you say? I had a friend who almost died of Chicken pox. She had a sore that went inward right above her heart and luckily the sitter noticed because apparently it can kill you in certain cases, hers was more dangerous because of the proximity to her heart. My mother had measles and whooping cough. She told me that whooping cough was so bad she had wished she were dead. Measles were painful and the fever was awful. The thing is you cannot guarantee that your child will be one of the lucky ones.
    Anonymous

• umm, I think I would also add, that all of these new safety laws and other baby products are making people rich too. Like every new and improved car seat, etc. But we still chose to buy those. So how is that relevant? And there are places to get vaccines at little or no cost, so again how is that making anyone rich, To me the medical community trying to get "rich" would allow our kids to contract these diseases because then there would be thousands of kids who do have complications who have to spend time in the hospital. That is definitely more expensive than a vaccine.
    Anonymous

• What's even more ridiculous is that you are hiding behind the anonymous button when you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
    Like I said...some illnesses should be vaccinated against...but the majority of the vaccines kids are getting today are simply NOT necessary. This was exactly my point which just completely went over your head. Additionally, they should be further spaced apart and the harmful crap that is put into them, taken out! Do you not agree with that?
    And what do you know about the prevalence of autism or related illnesses? Why don't you go learn something before you start preaching about something that you haven't even experienced? You said you know it's devastating...you have no earthly clue! Read the vaccine book by Dr. Sears or Changing the Course of Autism by Dr. Bryan Jepson. Then you can come here and have a logical discussion about vaccine risks and the growth of the autism epidemic.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 3:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• You think my mom was lucky, huh? I guess my son was unlucky then...because the vaccines you think are so wonderful triggered his autism. I guess the luck didn't run in the family.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 3:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2009