Whats the difference

The Dr. is booked but Im measuring big and they did an ultrasound at hospital and I go in next week but Im seeing a nurse practitioner cause dr. schedule is busy. They are going to look at my ultrasound and see whats going on. But can a nurse practioner change my due date or decide for me to be induced. What can they do exactly. Im kinda nurvous.

Nikky0803PAG

Asked by Nikky0803PAG at 1:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The NP cant schedule an induction as they are not authorized usually to attend births on their own. They will consult with your OB and your OB will make the final decisions. Most likely you will just meet with her and they will say this is what the US found blah blah and then tell you to make an appt with your regular OB. I had to see the NP a few times late in my pregnancy and she was all about inducing me but sadly she couldnt do it and the OB wouldnt go for it :( As long as when the baby comes they will allow it even though you arent technically full term. And it might be that you are just going to have a big baby. Eli was 9lbs at 39 weeks! Don't be scared of big babies either, his delivery was actually the easiest out of all my kids and the others were only 8lbs.
    legalmom343

Answer by legalmom343 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• In my opinion and experience the nurse ALWAYS knows more than the doctor. My kids see a Nurse Practitoner rather than the doctor on a regular basis. The Nurse Practitioner will check with and work with your doctor and they will come to a decision together. Changing your due date won't help, the baby will come when he/she comes unless you have a c-section.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 2:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Well I only say change due date cause they think the due date is wrong so they did another ultrasound and they are going to compare that to my 20 week. If I were to go till my due date I would have over an 11 pound baby and Im small framed so they worry about baby getting stuck. He is 7 pounds right now and Im in my 34th week. So they think they may be off a little bit.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 2:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Actually based on the average growth of a baby, he would be 10 pounds at birth, not 11. And I dont trust the u/s AT ALL! I had an u/s the week before my son was born saying he weighed 7 lbs 4 oz and he was only 5 lbs 7 oz a week later! Typically they dont change due dates that late in pregnancy. Do you not know when your LMP was?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Yeah my LMP was October 25th. Im so confused cause everyone is like woah and when is your due date they never changed it. Im like not that anyone has said to me. Well I was dialating a 2 and having contractions last night and they measured him and said I he was developed all the way like a person full term. So IDK. Its confusing I guess. And ten pounds is still kinda big.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 2:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Im not scared of 8 pounds Im scared of 11 pounds
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 3:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• The week before I gave birth, DD measured 7lbs., 8oz. When she was born, she was a whopping 6lbs., 5oz. You can NEVER judge weight by ultrasounds. The technology just isn't there yet.
    MommaToSam

Answer by MommaToSam at 4:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• So if Im they are saying that Im 7 punds now. In like little less then 6 weeks I still think it would be a big baby.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 4:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2009